Or what would one recommend?

Regards, John

Reply to
jdungan100

What sort of engine is it for?

Reply to
John

Depends on the application.

If its for an enclosed engine with oil in a sump that gets hot it might be OK as it will thin with increased temp, however if its for drip fed bearings, it might be a bit thick (unless the engine is a big un).

The manual for my R-H 1HR - 6HP open crank with drip fed mains specifies straight SAE20.

Reply to
skiprat

Hi ,

Its for a Crossley 1040 .

Im not too sure how hot the crankcase gets as i havent ran it for more than a half hour at a time. Thanks for the replys so far .

John

Reply to
jdungan100

Reply to
campingstoveman

Probably shouldn't, but I tend to chuck Wilkinsons 20W50 in just about everything four stroke!

Reply to
Nick H

My Crossley 1075 barely breaks into a sweat & only by keeping the pot covered can I get as high as 80oC .

I use modern cheap multigrades in old engine applications without a qualm - far better than the oils they were constructed to survive!

IMHO, SAE 50 will be too thick unless the engine is working hard on a summer's day.

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn