OT: House wiring ideas needed

Either that or set up a turntable (not phono, a lazy Susan) there. The field might be enough to warm his coffee.
-- Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.
Reply to
Larry Jaques
*Snip*
If your ground rod has enough juice running through it to get warm you have *SERIOUS* issues someplace, there should not, under un-faulted conditions, be any current going to ground.
H.
Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer
Whoa! Something else was very wrong. Ground connections & rods carry current ONLY under fault conditions. The normal, fault-free, condition is that the neutral carries all the load, including the service neutral back to the pole. A current-carrying ground means that the service neutral has a fault. Either missing/disconnected or a high-resistance connection.
Bob
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt
With all the extra circuits someone ran in the house during bedroom addons, the ground had a 40VAC tingle to it. Subsequent circuit tracing found multiple problems and we fixed it. That Old House was built in 1939 and it had the full knob & tube wiring, complete with ceramic screw-in fuses. When I redid the front bath, I found roughsawn 2" x 3" redwood and cedar studs holding it up.