Painting Aluminum

I'm building a project out of not-anodized aluminum. I want to paint it, preferably with spray paint. It is mostly made out of aluminum angles and bars, so I don't have any big areas to cover. I want to do something simple, like spray paint, and I want a hard, durable surface. Suggestions? Thanks -- Daven

Reply to
Daven Thrice

Go to an autobody supply place and ask for an aluminum conversion coating. It'll be water-based stuff you apply with a brush, rag, or any way that'll get it wet. After a couple of minutes, hose it off, let it dry and it's ready for paint. I've used Alumaprep #33, followed by some other stuff called alodyne or something like that. It cleans the aluminum and gives it a bit of "tooth" for paint. Even rattlecan paint wets, flows out and adheres very well on aluminum thus treated.

Reply to
Don Foreman