Panic Selling on the Nikkei

Nikkei closed down 10.55 % on panic selling.

The Nikkei fell as much as 14 percent at one stage, before closing down 10.5 percent, its biggest percentage fall since October 2008 during the height of the financial crisis.

Hopefully all those flimsy derivative instruments don't start a "china syndrome" meltdown of the world's financial system.

But I needn't worry: technocrats seem to have a good handle on the problems of the entire world.....and they seem to be able to make them much worse with a flick of a switch every time. Wake me up when it's safe to breath again please.

An which technocrat put the diesel back-up generators at Fukushima at ground level where they could suck up tsunami water shortly after kicking on in the first place? And did he commit ritualistic suicide yet as required by the Japanese Bushido code? Inquiring round eyed guys want to know. Dave

(Reuters) - Japanese leaders tried to calm panicky financial markets on Tuesday as a deepening nuclear power crisis looked certain to increase the toll on an economy already convulsing from the impact of Friday's earthquake and tsunami.

dav1936531

It is easy to be smart after the fact. Not so easy is to anticipate everything.

Ignoramus11979

I realize that, however, I am also aware of a few of the intricacies of the Japanese social order.

I can practically guarantee that some junior engineer involved with facilities design on this plant questioned, to himself, as to weather putting the generators at ground level was a good idea and anticipated a water problem in the event of a tsunami.

However, in Japanese society, "the nail that sticks out gets pounded down". I have seen this principle in action. This make for a real reluctance to become the nail that sticks out amongst the Japanese. The junior facilities engineer most likely failed to press his case to elevate the generator house based on this principle. He didn't want to be the nail that stuck out. I am sure he now regrets this.

As a result of these dynamics, we now have a stock market and nuclear contagion that threatens to affect me directly.

The idea with building a nuclear plant is to get it right the first time. Hindsight is now worthless. Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

Engineering is really the art of optimizing trade-offs. They said they thought the generators were safe from a tsunami due to the sea walls, so there were probably other issues that made it seem better to put the generators lower. Perhaps a man-made hill would be more likely to fail in an earthquake. Perhaps placing them higher would make them more prone to typhoon damage. If there is a perfect solution to an engineering problem, it is not called a problem.

The systems of a nuclear plant will never be designed perfectly. In my mind the only safe way to make a nuclear plant is to have a reaction process that does not go out of control even if EVERYTHING fails. There are new designs that might meet this criteria. The pebble bed design has some promise but research reactors have had some minor radiation releases that show every technology has un-anticipated pitfalls. The key, I think, is to make everything as safe a practical, but inherently limit the worst possible case.

Reply to
anorton

(...)

(...)

(...)

Dave, can you point out the diesel generator towers at the San Onofre site, please?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston