Civil defense yellow radiation detector

I have something that is a yellow steel box, called a civil defense radiation detector.

I only have the yellow box.

No matter what I do, I cannot zero the thing. The needle goes all the way to the right to Circuit Check. Does anyone know how to fix that.

I fully realize that the meter has an inappropriate range. So if you feel like pointing it out, I know that already.

Ignoramus1540

the detection tubes in these things have a limited life - look up the tube number and see what that tells you

Reply to
Bill Noble

Compare the voltage readings of your unit to what you see in this schematic. Preliminarily, it looks like a switch problem because the amplifier tube, V1 grid appears to be floating up when it should be grounded with 'zero' selected.

Connect your negative meter probe to the negative battery connector, not to ground.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Evacuate?

LOL You are too far north of the jet stream Ig.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

In the Troubleshooting section of the manual it says that "METER WILL NOT ZERO" [They are shouting, not me.] (Reads Upscale)

Tube Defective Improper Grid Bias or Plate Voltage

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Does it have the separate probe and the little radioactive test patch stuck to the side of the box?

Reply to
Pete C.

Nope, it does not. I think that it is a POS, I will sell it on craigslist with full disclosure.

Ignoramus11979

An op/maint manual for Ig, with schematics:

-- Small opportunities are often the beginning of great enterprises. -- Demosthenes

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have one similar (somewhere), and IIRC there is a schematic on the inside of the yellow box. Might help you to trace out the problem. Could be a failed electrolytic capacitor somewhere in there.

Inappropriate for what?

Granted, 500 mR/hr at the best seems to not be particularly sensitive, but it is sufficient for its intended purpose.

IIRC, it also really wants a fresh zinc-carbon cell to power it

-- an alkaline cell is a bit low on voltage. (At least based on my memory of the behavior of mine last time I dug it out.)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols