Professional trailer designer

I probably shouldn't mention the superb handling in an 8-wheel drift, but it _was_ almost 30 years ago.

But yes, you can do things with a truck and gooseneck that you couldn't even contemplate with a tag-along.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

And you probably needed a toothpick to get your skivvies un-caught from between your teeth before you could get them off...

I tried that with my Corvair and a full 1K utility trailer and 4 Wet Drum Brakes that all decided to start working at random time intervals (Shall we Dance?) a few decades ago, and that was pucker-factor enough.

Look around for the companies selling "Trailer Plans!" that used to advertise in the back of Popular Mechanics, they've probably moved to the Web.

The hard part is getting the axle geometry and set-backs right, and you can experiment to a degree. The axles have a little Toe-In or Out built in at the axle factory - depending on the trailer length axles to the kingpin, you might have to order the axles with a little more. That's where the Plans! people come in.

And you can always copy a Trail-Rite Boat Trailer and weld all the spring shackles and hardware on two Angle Iron Sliders, then bolt that loosely to the frame rails with U-Bolts. (Just make sure the frame rails are straight and parallel, and there isn't anything sticking out that can snag.)

Once it's all together and the boat is loaded you take a set of portable scales to check the axle loads on the truck and trailer. Go drive it a bit and make sure it behaves Then it's easy to lift the boat & trailer chassis with the boatyard crane and slide the whole axle assembly fore or aft on the sliders to get the axle weights and balance right. Once it's right, drill holes through the angle iron and sides of the framerails and bolt it down semi-permanent.

And when the boat changes, you can pull the slide side bolts and balance it all again for the new load.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)

Where you at? I just built a 2000 pound trailer for my daughter to move to FL. Cost me over $300.00 just to get a PA stamp of aproval and VIN plate for it. Till all was said and done I could have bought one for about $100 more.

I had to go to an "enhanced inspection station" that is approved for trailers. The guy was very nice, wanted a few mods that I had no problem doing, but he was not a certified welding inspector or a mechanical engineer. Just an auto mechanic.

Auction might be your best bet. Buy, repair, modify then tow.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

Did you think of contacting Bruce Roberts? They design some huge boats. I suspect they would know who could design your trailer the way you want it.

Reply to
Bob La Londe