Real lead type and a sense of craftsmanship

I thought other RCMers would find this interesting, it's a quicktime movie about someone who's still making books, etc. with real lead type and a sense of craftsmanship.

It's nice to think that this is still going on.

I have a bunch of lead type that I've always wanted to print something with. Of course I'd have to get a press... but hey, it's just another tool!

Enjoy!

Jeff Polaski

That really made me feel "warm and fuzzy"

Thanks for the great link

Tom

Reply to
surftom

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 18:26:03 -0700, Jeff Polaski calmly ranted:

That's really cool. A few years ago, I was working with a guy in LoCal who ran an old Multi 1250. I made the plates for him or printed the original ad copy on paper and he etched his own plates for longer runs. We did color separations for the clients on a type of polyester plate, but he still had to align it all by hand on the old press. That was a real hoot. He also had a

1,000+ lb. guillotine with a single 3' long, 1" thick, 5" tall cutter which could take your finger off just looking at it wrong.

Book binders use a brass type for the imprint and gilding. I just ran across a whole passel of bookbinding equipment on Ebay, all for Yuppie Collector prices.

You misspelled "MAKE a press", Jeff. A Gutenberg special, not that automated thing Firefly was using. ;)

Very cool.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Life is full of little surprises. * Comprehensive Website Development --Pandora *

Larry Jaques