What is the name of this type of nut?

Hi everyone, I am looking at a manual written in Japanese that explains how to hand a cabinet from the ceiling. I was wondering what these nuts and bolts are called:

"Bag Nut" - it's a nut that has a cap on its end. The cabinet is hung from a hanging bolt, which is screwed through a wooden block, then through the cabinet. The "bag nut" caps the hanging bolt from the inside of the cabinet.

Also, what is word used to describe the snowman-shaped hole in a pair of pliers, that allows you to adjust its width to accomodate different sizes of pliers?

Reply to
Colin Turner

How about 'acorn nut?'

Good question. If it's unnamed, I nominate 'snowman hole.' That's as descriptive as any.

Hth, Fred Klingener

Reply to
Fred Klingener

I would call it a slip-joint, since the pliers are sometimes referred to as slip-joint pliers. If the snowman pattern is replicated, the resulting pliers are called water-pump pliers or Channellocks. It would still be a slip-joint, since it allows the jaws of the pliers to enlarge while keeping the handles parallel.

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

acorn nut. hanger bolt.

slip joint.

Reply to
bridger

Gak. Channellock is a brand name. They make many different styles of pliers/cutters including "slip joint" and "tongue and groove" pliers.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

"Thomas Kendrick" wrote: I would call it a slip-joint, (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^ That is very descriptive of the way mine usually work--when I squeeze the pliers, the joint slips.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 07:37:44 -0500, Thomas Kendrick vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

PMFJI

I had a set of cheapo "vice grips" that had a slip joint. They would open to maybe 4"-5" at max slip.

I have never seen a quality set, and these, although a good idea, were not well made. Does anyone know where they can be had?

I have surfed around and asked at shops, but not seen any.

Any help appreciated.

Reply to
Old Nick

Acorn nut.

ooooh...got me there....

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Ned Simmons

"Ouch" The knuckle-buster hole. Those old-style water-pump and slip-joint pliers are notorious for slipping just as you're getting enough force put on your part. There's a reason Channelocks were invented. I've got a number of old slip-joint pliers I've inherited, they'll be staying in the tool box where they've resided for the last 50 years.

Stan

Reply to
Stan Schaefer

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 09:41:29 -0400, Ned Simmons vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Sorry. I may have misnamed them. That item at that location is avialable everywhere, and I would have deserved a raspberry for not finding one.

The "vice grip" locks in place, and is released by pulling a lever near the main handle. the one I am after has the "ladder" that the site below shows, as well.

Reply to
Old Nick

Could never bring myself to invest in tools made of laminates and rivets Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 19:06:28 GMT, nic vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

That looks as close as I have seen to what I am after. Thanks.

Expensive! We pay Aud$50, 60, 70 (US$35 -50) for the "true" 8" Vice Grips over here!

Reply to
Old Nick

I have one - the laminates are tool steel. The teeth bite into the work so I generally don't use them unless I don't care or need the extra bite.

I think one Christmas they - a pair - showed up. Such is life. I trained better half and Son to buy in working pairs or usable sets.

Now my wife has my spare set of welding gloves - Yes my Tilmans in the kitchen. She loves them for getting into the oven to get out big pans or little ones deep inside. The large cuffs protect her up to the elbow!

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Great for making round nuts. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 05:13:49 GMT, Gerald Miller vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Well they (or ones ike them) have pulled mine out the fire a few times...

Reply to
Old Nick

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 04:26:20 GMT, "Martin H. Eastburn" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Funny I should mention getting things out of fires....

Reply to
Old Nick