What do you call this type of nut?

I have an old Craftsman/Atlas lathe and the threads are stretched on the tailstock lockdown bolt and nut so I need to replace them. The bolt has a square head and the thread is 3/8-16 which shouldn't be too hard to find.

The problem I have is with the nut. A normal 3/8" nut calls for a 9/16" wrench but this nut is oversized and uses an 11/16" wrench. The wrench came with the lathe and normally stays on this nut so I'd really like to replace it with the same thing but I'm not sure what this type of nut is called or even whether it's available. I can make it if I have to but I'd prefer to find one.

Any ideas?

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Heavy hex nut. See McMaster p.3131.

I'll pop one in the mail if you can't find them locally or without buying 100.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

100 3/8" heavy hex nuts is not too much, he should use them up in a few years.
Reply to
Ignoramus6517

It's a nut used in fixuring: a heavy flanged hex nut. (Yours does hava a flange, doesn't it/) 3/8-16 threaded studs, clamp bars, and stairstep blocks make up a standard fixturing kit with these nuts, and the 11/16 wrench. Very useful if one owns, say, a Bridgeport milling machine.

You'd like to replace the NUT or the WRENCH with the same thing, rather than make one? It wasn't clear to me which you meant.

Doug Goncz Replikon Research Seven Corners, VA 22044-0394

Reply to
DGoncz.703.475.7456

Thank you! The only thing I could think of was oversized but heavy makes more sense. I'll try a couple of places around town this week and may take you up on your gracious offer if I can't find one.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

That heading really belongs over a group portrait of the regulars here. Or a series, with each of us posing in front of our toys.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Sorry to take so long to reply. I've been pretty busy and haven't had time to follow the group.

a flange, doesn't it/) 3/8-16 threaded studs, clamp bars, and stairstep blocks make up a standard fixturing kit with these nuts, and the 11/16 wrench. Very useful if one owns, say, a Bridgeport milling machine.

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Sorry to take so long to reply. I've been pretty busy and haven't had time to follow the group.

Can't argue with that! :-)