Info Please: Dalton Lathe

There is a seller in my area who is getting a South Bend lathe free of cost, and as a result, het wants to sell his present and smaller metal lathe which is a Dalton.

He knows little about it except that he was told it was a 7" X 24" when he first got it. He also said the lathe weighs about 100lbs, and that he can turn rods much longer than the stated size between centers by inserting them through the headstock.

Unfortunately he doesn't know the model number and I cannot find much on Daltons.

Looking at the picture, the color of the lathe is blue and the gears and belts are enclosed.

If anyone has any info on this lathe I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

The best site I know of for older lathe info has only a few pictures of their different models with very terse comments.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

But it isn't any more?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

You joke - but I had a 7" dalton lathe that somebody had grafted a 9" cataract headstock onto!

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

There is a picture in the New York section of Craigslist. (Just go to tools and type in lathe).

It's difficult to fathom that it is only "100lbs" like the seller told me.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

My Dad had one for years. Sounds about the same anyway. Flat belt drive w/ reversing dog clutch to shift in a twisted belt. V ways odd spindle thread (1 1/8"X12) or some such thing. Change gears strange collets (WW?) Very solid little lathe but parts are unobtainium. Glenn

Reply to
Glenn