Welding vs. Tapping vs. Roll Pin

I want to permanently attach 3/8" diameter rods to 3/8" rods end-to-end and was looking for advice on the best way to accomplish this. The methods I'm considering are welding, tapping, or use of a roll pin.
The rods will only be about 3-1/2" long, and the pieces that I want to attach are 1/2" long.
Perhaps a combination of the attachment methods mentioned for this rod extension project would be warranted.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

That sounds like an easy lathe job. Do you have one?
Yes, I have a lathe. What I don't have and was looking into getting is some welding equipment. (I have a little MIG welding experience from back in the early 80s).
Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Yes, I have a lathe. What I don't have is welding equipment, yet. (I did learn MIG welding back in the early 80s).
Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.
How much force will be on the extension?
On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 1:03:19 PM UTC-4, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

There is no way to know that. I was hoping that the strongest option would generally work best.
Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.
On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 9:22:33 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I think there must be a lot you have not mentioned. Otherwise you would just use a longer rod to begin with and not have to do any attaching.
Dan
On 08/10/2019 22:04, snipped-for-privacy@krl.org wrote:

Exactly what I was thinking as otherwise you would just use a 4" long 3/8" rod. Maybe a high grade material on the end of a lower grade shank but without knowing material specs and purpose of what needs joining it's difficult to know. Mention of roll pin and tapping would seem to indicate the materials can be drilled and tapped and maybe welded from
might be a troll so maybe why so little detail.
On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 22:35:39 +0100
<snip>

Nah, he's cool. Been asking similar questions to that here for years now. As I recall he lives in the city and has limited space for machines. Repairs old arcade games like pinball machines :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Nah, I stay away from Pinball machines.
This is actually another video game related project. You know the standard ball-top video game joystick? I plan to take them apart so I can make the j oystick shafts longer.
Here's why. The bottom of most joysticks poke through holes in little metal plates. These are called restrictors. (Diamond shaped holes are used for a 4-way joystick). As a result, the movement of the joystick is restricted i n the desired 4 directions (usually up, down, right, & left). This makes sw itch activation a lot more accurate.
I plan to remove the joysticks default restrictor so I can use a special re strictor I designed, which will be located at a lower position, therefore I need longer joysticks.
Thanks.
Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.
On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 23:28:15 -0700 (PDT) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
<snip>

It the ball/knob on top screws off can you just add on there?
Maybe a coupler to match the old shaft thread and threaded on the opposite end to match old ball.
A completely new, longer shaft to replace the old I think is the best solution. I've watched people play before and they get excited, upset... and way more pressure than needed gets applied to those controllers :(
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI
On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 5:04:41 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@krl.org wrote:

It comes down to what I already have and have access to.
Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.
On Friday, October 11, 2019 at 2:26:23 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I am still confused. WHat is it that keeps you from just using a longer rod? I suspect it is that one end of the original rod is threaded. So what is keeping you from using the lathe and cutting a thread on a longer rod?
Dan
On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 06:22:29 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Since you have a lathe then I suggest tapping. Use a roll tap AKA form tap. These taps don't make chips so they are great for blind holes, and they make stronger threads. You need to use a larger diameter drill bit than for a cutting tap. Tap both part and assemble with a set screw and red Loctite. Or tap one part and drill through the 1/2 inch part for screw clearance. Then use a socket head screw. And red Loctite. Eric
wrote in message wrote:

You could friction weld the parts in your lathe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gahrN1tNDkM

Best Regards Tom.
https://www.avg.com