Breaking down small engines for melting in foundry

I have a batch of B&S mower engines that I've collected to melt down for casting. I've gone the heat till hot shortness route, smash-n-crack route, fracture with bolt cutters to break them down into pieces that will fit crucible. Looking for a more efficient (faster) way.

Has anyone used a chop saw? or built a large reverb furnace to melt down engines as a whole.

I break the engines down to major castings, pulling out crank shaft, gears, bolts, springs, valves etc..

Open to suggestions.

Reply to
hhsupply

I used to cut them and other large things up with my bandsaw, then used a recip saw, then used my log splitter which does a super job of busting things up, but its pretty darn hazzardous a shards and frags are always prone to flying, in all directions once something lets loose. I then acquired a home heat oil fired burner unit. I just lined a large 30" diam piece of steel pipe with some refractory, and have it on a slight angle. I place all the junk I want to melt in that half sectin of lined pipe, and place burner so it faces the opened end of the pipe and fire it off. In no time aluminum starts to dribble and then starts to run once its up to temp. I use diesel fuel to get the burner fired off and operating and then switch over to used motor oil.

The oulet end has a sort of door so I can close it off and hold some of it back, but its certainly not liquid tight.

I just keep an >>I have a batch of B&S mower engines that I've collected to melt down for

Reply to
Koi-ho

I've melted down some aluminum ("alloy") wheels by cutting them up on my table saw. It was pretty easy and fast to get them to pieces small enough to fit into a 4" diam crucible. Small engines should be no problem, except for the grease and oil mussin' up the table saw.

I have a 10" saw & used a carbide "framing" blade (i.e., a nothing-special utility blade).

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt