Rebuild Bosch cordless drill batteries?

+1 on
I've had them rebuild about 7 DeWalt 12V and 14.4V packs at work and the rebuilds last at least as long as the originals (charge and # of cycles). They say they can deal with glued-together packs, and they get $48 to rebuild a NiCd pack which is only a $3 savings on those XRP packs you found - great find! I rebuilt a couple of DeWalts using the cheapest cells I could find
and Primecell's price is about what those cells cost, plus the hour or so of my time per pack learning a new skill :-).

Remember to stop using a battery as soon as you detect your tool beginning to slow down. The higher the pack voltage the more critical this is. If you take it all the way down so the tool stalls you are virtually guaranteed to be reverse charging (and thus damaging) at least one cell.

Went to the local Borg to pick up a 2 x 4 and while there I took a quick look to price a replacement 18V. De Walt battery since I have one that needs a rebuild. Sure enough, there are the 18V XRP batteries on the display tagged @ $119.00. next hook over are 2 packs priced $99.00 each, (was $179.00). Took a 2 pack to the check out and sure enough it went through for $99.00. Best price I've seen for rebuild is $58.00. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Carl Ijames

Like the control panel for that INECO bender. $700, and all it is is an interface board, $3 LCD and a $69 (Retail) Rabbit Semiconductor RCM2000 computer board that you can buy from Digikey.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I have been leaning towards Primecell.

Yes. Makes sense, and I learned about this probably 30 years ago, from battery handbooks from the manufacturers. Actually, they recommended putting a diode around each cell, to prevent damage from forward charging. Diodes were expensive then, so few people did this, but it may now make sense.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I let X (name sounds like "Interstate Battery") rebuild my Ryobi 14.4v nicad battery and it was as gutless as the original, then it died (lost all charge after a day or two, full charge good only for a couple minutes) less than a year later. Most places upgrade the mAh rating but I think IB used the same or lesser capacity cells. I wasn't thrilled.

But how do you determine the effectiveness of the used protection circuitry in rebuilt UPSes? I put a new battery ($17, 7Ah LA) in my old UPS and about 5 years later, the test switch died. I figured it was time for a whole new UPS at that point. AFAIK, there is no way to test for damaged or almost-used-up MOVs, etc.

-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Then plug a surge protector into the outlet feeding the UPS. Or learn to solder and spend a couple dollars for new MOV or Transorbs.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell