Refrigerator malfunction - big GE side by side, fridge side is too warm

This is a big GE side by side , computerized controls . The fridge side is too warm , and the flap that regulates the temp is closing before the compartment is cold . I'm wondering if it's the computer control or a malfunctioning servo motor on the flap . The control board has been replaced once before - caused by an ice maker supply line leak that flooded it . Freezer compartment is functioning (apparently) correctly . I have disconnected the flap servo and have the flap open to see if the fridge side will cool down , it appears to be convection as I can't find a fan . Any insights welcome ...

Reply to
Snag

That's fairly specific. I think I'd use BING to search for a more product specific troubleshooting website. I've had better luck that way than asking on groups and forums when it comes to household appliances.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

It has been rendered moot . Momma sez "we can afford a new one" so I'll be picking it up at Lowes in the morning . I could pick it up today but I'd rather have a drink than drive 120 miles round trip this afternoon .

Reply to
Snag

I can very much related to the remark. In the spirit of the RMHVB&G have one on me.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Sure will ! Care to join me in a sip or three of my home made rendition of Galliano ? Actually I started the conversation about a new unit . This is the

3rd time this (bought used like 7 years ago) fridge has dropped out on us . I ain't inclined to fix it again , and parts are getting harder to find . With any luck at all I'll never have to repair a fridge again (that sound was me knocking on wood) .
Reply to
Snag

For us its been the shelves, plastic rollers for drawers, etc that have failed. We had one fridge that was a turd some years back, but Sears still had a local store then. They gave us a credit for the full price of our broken machine and said go pick out something else you like. Generally we always have three fridges and a freezer. One in the kitchen, one in the "bar", and one in my shop office with the freezer out in the garage. A fridge failure doesn't usually do more than inconvenience, although I do sometimes have to impress upon my wife that temporary doesn't mean forever when she asks me to put something in the shop fridge.

Now watch. We'll take a lightning strike tonight and it will fry all four machines. LOL. In fact I think we did lose a fridge to a near miss the first year we were in this has back in 2006.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

There is probably a thermistor in the refrigerator side that reports to the controller. I'd bet that thermistor has gone south. I've replace many of them (my fridge has four). Whopping $2 item, and you'll have a fridge for the garage.

Reply to
rangerssuck

The only sensor I could find on the fridge side is a temp sensor near the top . It (I think) reports to the control board , which opens/closes a flap also near the top to control air flow from the freezer side . Doesn't much matter now , there's a shiny new unit occupying that space now . And I already have a fridge for the shop ...

Reply to
Snag