repair inside threads

Are you saying you are going to offset and cut an array of new holes in the axle flange? If it is a round flange, with new holes would be the way to go.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

P.M. break,

I'm located in a hilly area of central Minnesota.

I welded four bolt holes clear shut and proud on both sides. Milled axle side flat, the whole hub was bent. Just took a ton o' measurements and indicated in on the CNC mill. Next I'll bore the new bolt holes.

'bout six hours total, not counting the two hours getting the tractor in.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Sweet. Tools and ability come in handy.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Now how in heck did I get the notion you were in Hood River?

Ah well. Minnesotan for "hilly" is Oregonian for "pretty flat". I remember one of my Dad's employees who got sent to a show in the Midwest with the truck & trailer. His eyes were wide* for weeks over just how flat land could get.

  • Well, his eyes were _always_ wide over something or another, but that was the Astonishment of the Day for quite a few days.
Reply to
Tim Wescott

I moved out of Michigans Upper Penninsula directly to Midland Texas.

I was in geo-shock for all the time I worked down there.

GACK!!!!!!!

Gunner, living in the California Coastal Range....

Gunner Asch

Reply to
RoyJ

Midland, Texas Taft, California ???

Man, you do pick the scenic hot spots to live in... ;)

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb

d serve to make

The last time I needed a small one in a hurry I ground a bevel back from the end instead of cutting lengthwise slots. It was semicircular like a D drill at the end. I think it actually worked better because there was more space for the damaged thread chips.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Shrug..but its a dry heat.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Kinda like Saskatchewan - you can watch your dog run away for a week.

Reply to
clare

On Mon, 25 May 2009 08:19:29 -0500, the infamous "Karl Townsend" scrawled the following:

So which is more costly: a few extra trips with lighter cargo loads, or this exciting and innovative kind of work? ;)

Eek! (Covers innocent eyes from the horrors of that visualization)

No chit, Cherlock.

- Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.) -----------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

After living in the Keweenaw Peninsula for so many years he is still trying to get warm :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Perhaps it's time for some re-engineering. Do the axles have a projecting hub that the large central wheel hole fits around? You have not given us the make/model of the tractor. The Kubotas I have owned have had a boss or what ever you call it that fits tightly into the central hole in the wheel. This seems to support most of the weight of the tractor and load. The wheel bolts support some weight, I am sure, but basically hold the wheel to the hub that bolts to the axle. The bolts also transfer the torque from the engine to the wheel.

The same mounting method is used on both front and rear wheels.

While you are working on the axle could you weld up a locating ring, or at least make sure it fits the wheel hole?

Something seems to be fundamentally wrong with the way your tractor is engineered.

Looking forward to hear if you succeed in your efforts!

Paul

Reply to
KD7HB

Indeed.... Look at the imagery of the flood about a decade ago...

Reply to
David Lesher

Had a talk with the smart guy at the dealer today. I'm going to start replacing all the bolts annually. I got extra long ones. The bolts will be installed with a torque wrench. The long bolt sticks through the back of the hub. I'll install a lock nut there. I'll re-torque monthly when hauling the sprayer.

If I still got trouble, I can see how to make a secondary axle hub and go to sixteen wheel bolts.

I know i was damn lucky not to tip that tractor and then hose myself with concentrated pesticide.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Not a Belarus, by chance?????

Reply to
clare

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Mon, 25 May 2009 16:17:27 -0700 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I left the Massachusetts the end of my freshman year in High School, and was moved first to Ankara Turkey, then Madrid Spain. The start of my Junior year (August) my grandfather died, and we flew back to North Carolina. After a year in the high deserts of Anatolia and Iberia, North Carolina was ... green. Not just a little green, but Green. GrEeN. Mind boggling Green. We actually slowed the car down, on rounding a curve and there it was - big tall wide GREEN trees! Yowzaa!

Some years later, Hazzah was telling how the Saudis came to Egypt because it was "so green". You can see the Sahara, just over the river for most of the country. But for the Saudis, that's "really green."

pyotr filipivich

I was going to suggest torquing the bolts. That was what Sunbeam Tiger owners used to do every few weeks. But I now am thinking of a different technique.

You could safety-wire them in place but I don't see that as the solution; they can still get a little loose.

Would Locktite help here? I'm no ME, but I picture the oh-so-small movements between threads getting bigger and bigger until... So stopping it at the get-go might...... Of course, when you DO want them off, you may need breath of the dragon.

It's too late now, but wouldn't finer thread bolts also help?

I'd be more concerned about being crushed. Does it have a roll cage and seatbelt? How about some kind of deployable outriggers? I've seen such on cars being tested on a track. (I know Consumer Reports uses them after a car quite unexpectedly rolled during a slalom run...ooops!)

Reply to
David Lesher