Repairing machinery in the field

Fortune Magazine has has an interesting article about a company called In-Place Machining that does field repairs all over the world.

It mentions they've built machine shops into modular cargo containers for easy shipping. I wonder what one looks like.

Reply to
AL

Glenn Ashmore

Just the opposite. 'twas Alt*v*z, somewhere in the searing desert..

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Bite yer tongue!

The individual in question - the name cannot be invoked - was possibly the exact antithesis of robert.

The one you are thinking of was the infamous alt*voz

Jim

jim rozen

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

And he CLAIMED to have done so. Anybody actually see it??? I wouldn't put any stock in anything that guy said without concrete, or steel, proof.

Reply to
clare

He tried to sell the thing here on rcm, as I recall. Did anyone have a look at it ? Although it was years ago, rumour was that he put about a million hours into a piece of "China crap" (paraphrasing its words) lathe, after which he could turn anything known to mankind to any tolerences.... again, I paraphrase old 'A'.

Dave (who's put his Gingery lathe in his trunk to go 'show and tell' :)

Reply to
Dave Keith

Good idea. I imagine it looks a great deal like a cargo container, from the outside, anyway...

Al Moore

Reply to
Alan Moore

Bay Valve here in Seattle (I mean like oil field valves - 36" pipes, that sort of thing) built a complete field machine shop in a full size trailer to support oil fields in Alaska. I got a tour one cold weekend afternoon because I happened to be out jogging and was stopped by the sight of a trailer with one side cantilevered open (damned near froze, I was under dressed). They had a full CNC shop in there, with a big Bridgeport and a 24" lathe, along with all the support gear you need like a computer controlled bit grinder. The most interesting part for me was they'd set the tools up at an angle to the axis of the trailer so they could feed long pieces through. They had some monster tall supports they could put out on the ground on both sides, and the rear door reinforced and drop down on a bottom hinge to make a ramp that a fork lift could run up (I think they even had a knobby tired fork lift that was part of the kit). It had just competed it's test run and they were doing some final tweaking before they shipped it North. Haven't seen it around in a few years so either it's still up there or they decided it wasn't viable and broke it up. It was very cool and clearly had been well thought out.

Boeing has machine shops in cargo containers that their Downed Plane Squad uses to patch planes up in obscure parts of the world so they can limp home for real servicing. Talked to a guy that helped get a 737 off a sand runway somewhere in Saudi Arabia. Some doofus had run a fork lift through the leading edge of the wing (a pretty good trick) at the wing root and they had to repair something like 14 ribs and make a new skin before they could get it out. Sounded like a fun assignment, but pretty tough too.

Jim

Reply to
Jim McGill

Repairing machinery in the field

I drove a FIAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Mark

That's nothing! I had a '63 XKE.

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

Tucson. I saw a picture of it once. There must have 20,000 # of stuff in a 16' trailer with a 6000# axle.

andy asberry

Reply to
Mark

Sort of like a US Army Batmobile?

Too bad I couldn't find a pic of one.

Interesting link I found while surfing for a batmobile http://155.217.58.58/cgi-bin/atdl.dll/tc/9-524/toc.htm Ironhorse74

2001 FLHTCUI with Hack 96 Custom Bucket of bolts gone but not forgotten Pepperlady and RVE ride with me
Reply to
Ironhorse74

Ha. I had an AC Aceca, with Bristol engine. You want grief and pain? That's grief and pain.

My old high school buddy was the king, though. He had a British Daimler SP250. I looked under the hood once, and then slammed it shut as fast as I could.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

You too? You poor sucker. I put an aircraft generator into mine in place of the Italian piece of scrap OHC engine that it left the factory with. Reliability was not it's strong point - but was still better than the original.

Reply to
clare

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 13:28:02 -0500, Glenn Ashmore brought forth from the murky depths:

I had a friend with one of those old Britmobiles. It had 3 lugs on each wheel and the left side were left-handed Whitworth threads. I don't recall what mfgr's name that thing carried but it had Lucas 'lecterkuls. 'Nuff said?

-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ----

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

I have a client in Hinesville, Ga who is big on base at Ft. Stewart. When he found that I was into metal working he arranged a tour of the

3rd Mech motor pool. They have a sectional machine shop carried on 3 big all all terrain carriers that can be air lifted. The parts fit together around a central assembly area with an overhead traveling crane. The Sgt who gave the tour claimed that they can fix anything on an Abrams tank including rebuilding the turbine.

The odd th> Fortune Magazine has has an interesting article about a company called

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

Reply to
JR North