Ryobi BGH827 8" bench grinder vibration - postscript

I had an idea on how to get around the problem of drunken threads - a spherical-seat washer, which would allow the wheel to be clamped uniformly despite the cockeyed nuts.

Thew was not space for a fill 5/8" spherical washer set, so I machined a shallow conical seat into the existing flange washers by setting the compound at 14 degrees and advancing by moving the tool slide. The 14 degrees comes from a drawing in the MSC catalog on the washers (MSC #82429366 for instance).

This greatly reduced the vibration, but did not eliminate it. The wheels still wobble visibly.

I knew there was a reason to have a lathe.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

now, just take an old diamond blade, or a dressing tool and dress the sides of the wheels to remove the wobble and you are done

** Posted from
**
Reply to
William Noble

I'd been thinking of doing that. But first, drag the grinder outside, so the cloud of abrasive dust doesn't end up coating everything in the shop.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn