Metal Forming

Hello,

I would like to start making brackets and other metal items. Would anyone have any links or books on metal forming and the tools needed? I would like to know how how they form complex forms like.

how would you determine the gage of metal needed?

Right now I am looking at a 3 in one tool, which can do 16GA. Would a tool like this be the most useful? I have seen a brake which can do a thicker gage but they seem to really jump in price and weigh just as much. What can I use if I have a thicker gage?

The metal I would like to work with are for robotics and just general purpose brackets.

Thanks,

Reply to
Rob

Those parts are made from photo-etched blanks and then bent on a much more refined instrument than a 3 in 1 tool.

A 3 in 1 tool _may_ get you what you want, but in my (admittedly limited) experience I can get far better control over the bend angle with a box break than with the 'V' bender in a 3 in 1 tool.

I don't know where you'd get a decent box break for less money than a good used car - this is just as well, because I don't have room for one right now.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

tp://

The 3-in-1 machines are barely capable of working at their advertised limits. 0.050" thick 5052 Aluminum is a reasonable maximum for them. If I really need thicker metal I build it up from extruded angle and flat sheet.

I've built a lot of electronic housings with a 3-in-1, a corner notcher, a drill press, a bandsaw and a belt sander. A good, squared- up belt sander will clean up hacksawed ends so you can put off buying the bandsaw. If you need mechanically strong frames to support power transmission I suggest welded angle iron or square tubing instead. Steel and aluminum frames of equal strength and stiffness weigh about the same and steel holds threaded fasteners much better.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins