Soda Blasting?

I agree, I think it has to do with the amount you get, too much at once and it can make you sick. Anyway, we'll need the respirators while blasting but once the dust settles down and we get the baking soda & blasted mold picked up I don't think we'll need the respirators as much.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

I'm having the house pesticided, my floor and beams under the house treated with TimBor, a vapor barrier put down, and insulation installed next week. The company doing it will take my ITEX barter bucks (80%, anyway), which I've saved up for a while now. I hate working under houses and with fiberglass, though the new stuff is far less itchy than the old.

Luckily, I have no mold nor termites, but I may have some carpenter ants.

There are lots of different types of mold, Joe, but the toxic black stuff is much nastier than most. I choose to wear a respirator around lawn mowing, dust, sawdust, and -any- mold. I hope nobody with toxic black mold takes yours words to heart and disturbs it without respiratory protection.

Ayup.

-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

[snip]

When you say "toxic black mold", what species do you mean? I've handled lots of black mold, and are none the worse for it. That said, there are lots of mold species.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Some people aren't bothered by it, while other people get quite sick, or die.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

, the one you need state- level licensing to remove.

-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I had heard of this genus.

Are you duly licensed? There must be a set of approved removal methods.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Mold? What kid? Cake or bullet?

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

No, I went as far as the contractor's licencing, but I refuse to be involved with the (totally bogus) asbestos, (nearly bogus) lead abatement, or (usually just a bother, but can be really nasty) mold removal bullshit.

You need a lifetime apprenticing in electric to get a Sparky license here; ditto the plumbing add-on, with steam/pipefitting a whole lot more additional on top of that. When I finished studying the license prep book (476 pages, 8.5x11") I shook my head in amazement that they didn't require hands-on experience or test for _any_ building code knowledge. It's a political/regulatory thing, I guess. But to ask for as much as a penny from someone for repairs inside their home, one has to have a full contractor's license. Go figure.

I can't even do hose-bib-connected _drip_ irrigation without additional licensing, if you can believe that. Suckage.

Having done nearly all my (and my friends' and family's) electrical, plumbing, irrigation, and building since about age 6, I resent that.

-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Jello!

-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Butter

Reply to
John Husvar

If I recall, you are in Oregon. We have the same kind of rules in Mass.

It's a ricebowl issue:

But strangely enough, all hardware stores, plumbing houses, and electrical suppliers will sell the parts to anyone with money. And life goes on.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Gunner Asch on Fri, 10 Sep 2010 16:07:36 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

In places where there is humidity, we have an indigenous life from called "mold". Single celled organism, very little use for humans, tend to spread toxins in self-defense/aggression. Sort of like liberals, only quieter. The only real solutions to mold are de-humidifying the area. and chemicals to kill them off. Neither really is a one time thing, but must be constantly maintained. Also like dealing with liberalism. Unlike Liberals, however, some molds have been found to be useful. Many Antibiotics were first isolated from cultured molds.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Ah! The green stuff around dog water bowls and stuff..right?

At 12-15% humidity...mold is not something we normally have a big issue with.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Ayup.

Yeah. What's our percentage of gov't vs private sector employment now? 50/50, or closing, innit?

Yes, thankfully.

It's legal for the homeowner to do their own electrical, plumbing, and even mold, asbestos, and lead work. The latter 3 require licensing and permits, but anyone can qualify.

-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Gunner Asch on Sat, 11 Sep 2010 12:30:20 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Green, red, white, the worst is the black. ("... but the worst was the red." Ballad of Blasphemous Bill.)

I kind of figured as much.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

OTOH, try to find a cultured liberal...