Soldering advice given!

Repeat 10 times daily!

PLACE HEAT SHRINK TUBING PRIOR TO SOLDERING PLACE HEAT SHRINK TUBING PRIOR TO SOLDERING PLACE HEAT SHRINK TUBING PRIOR TO SOLDERING PLACE HEAT SHRINK TUBING PRIOR TO SOLDERING PLACE HEAT SHRINK TUBING PRIOR TO SOLDERING PLACE HEAT SHRINK TUBING PRIOR TO SOLDERING PLACE HEAT SHRINK TUBING PRIOR TO SOLDERING PLACE HEAT SHRINK TUBING PRIOR TO SOLDERING PLACE HEAT SHRINK TUBING PRIOR TO SOLDERING PLACE HEAT SHRINK TUBING PRIOR TO SOLDERING

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

and far enough away from the end where the solder connection will be, or it shrinks on the wire, from the heat conducting thru the wire

WB ..........

Reply to
Wild Bill

Did it again, huh?

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 06:18:37 GMT, the opaque "Ivan Vegvary" spake:

BTDT.

Rule #2: Place shrink tubing far enough away from the heat of the soldering area that it doesn't shrink prematurely onto the wiring.

---------------------------------------------- Never attempt to traverse a chasm in two leaps

Comprehensive Website Design ===========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Rule #3: Place remaining shrink tubing far enough away from the blast of the heat gun.

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Rule #2.1: If you can't move it far enough away place a wad of water soaked TP over it to keep it cool.

That's what I did this last Sunday, during an unscheduled cord repair session in the middle of trimming the shrubbery with my electric hedge trimmer. I got so involved in my arboreal artistry that I lost track of where the extension cord was and trimmed it too.

It wasn't the first time that's happened to me either. I'm glad I have those guardian angel GFCI outlets looking after me, particularly since the hedge trimmer is a 30+ year old B&D with an all metal housing.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

So, for an encore you will flare the tube while the fitting is in your pocket. Then sweat the union on without the nut.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote: (clip)I lost track of where the extension cord was and trimmed it too.(clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ My hedgetrimmer has an automatic feature that makes it stop when that happens.

You know that little brass cap on a light socket? It has to go on the cord before the wires are attached.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I have a rule that is much easier to remember: Grab iron on the cold side.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

This is a variant of the commonly seen:

Place Heat Shrink Tubing on Before Crimping Lug,

and the ever-popular

PLACE STRAIN RELIEF HARDWARE ON CABLE BEFORE SOLDERING CONNECTOR TO SAME.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

An old boss (microwave engineer) of mine used to love to tell this story...

It seems that the company for which he used to work hired this engineer with a freshly minted master's degree (!). The chief engineer told him to work with Robert to gain a little insight into the company's products. Robert was in the process of turning on/tuning up a power amplifier he'd just designed. The guy was sitting between Robert and his soldering iron and Robert asked him to hand it to him. Wanting to be polite and pass it so that Robert could easily take it by the handle, he picked it up by the business end... Our hero was still dancing around, holding his smoldering fingers when Robert was in the Chief's office, yelling, "GET THAT GUY OUTTA HERE!!!"

Reply to
Jerry Foster

Right up there with "Put plug shell on before soldering plug to end of cable", and "unplug it from the device before you cut off the end of the wire to reterminate it", yes?

Reply to
Dave Hinz