Soldering problem

Is that lard? I can get lard here no problem. I use it to make "svetla jiska" for my Czech Chicken Soup:

I have thought about that. It will solve the linear shift but not the rotational shift (my number 12 would end up where the number 10 is supposed to be :-)

Michael Koblic, Campbell River, BC

Reply to
mkoblic

Not if you employ Muslims.

Reply to
mkoblic

So, you're not importing Czech chickens after all? Good.

Ever thought of pinning it in/on?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"That warn't greaze" he said, as the bear went skidding on past.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

PORK IT IS!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 20:09:54 -0800, Larry Jaques

[...]

Yes, but could not make it work. Having said that it is probably time for re-think. If I put the pins close to the center they will get bored off. Probably should try that.

When I used the Goop I had a nice jig to hold it all together and I also had success with vacuum bags.

Michael Koblic, Campbell River, BC

Reply to
mkoblic

And you moved away from them because...?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Up to three days wait for the Goop to cure properly. I have not moved away, really, I just saw Tom Balding solder silver to steel on "How It's Made" and thought it was high time I tried again.

I find it good to look at established procedures and see if I can improve/shorten/make them cheaper.

Michael Koblic, Campbell River, BC

Reply to
mkoblic

OK. How does he clean up the overflow down the side, or does it?

What? Don't make them cheaper. Build for the discerning buyer.

Make yet another grouping for those who want regal quality, too. And advertise custom work for those who want something specially suited to their taste, if you wish to do so. (I'm betting that you do so you can build more of your quantum solar devices.)

Reply to
Larry Jaques
[...]

One saw only a very limited summary of what he does. I am not sure how far to the edges he went with his solder. He did not have to as he does not machine the edges afterwards. During the second stage of the procedure (soldering the tinned piece of silver to the steel piece) he was busy with the flux brush although I would not expect this to do anything for the overflow. Of course just because it is on TV it does not mean that it reflects his day-to-day reality.

None of them here.

I think I will make them chewable. At the last market, of the whole group of stands which included me, textile and jewelers, the only person who was doing a roaring trade was the lady with novelty dog food.

Michael Koblic, Campbell River, BC

Reply to
mkoblic

You might be surprised. Canuckistanis seem to have more than twice the discretionary income we USAtians have. But don't keep to your own neighborhood. Sell globally, or at least continentally. Brits buy lots of Canuck goodies, too, don't they?

Mikey, Mikey, Mikey. No -wonder- you can't get good money for them. You're at a cutthroat farmer's market?street fair. Oy, vay!

Get yourself a nice little shop in town (or consign them at an upper end shop or art gallery, providing a percentage for the seller) and mark 'em up. Aim for the people who can afford expensive trinkets. Um, I mean vastly useful horological instruments. Yeah, that's it. ;)

Ditto the Internet. Get a website and sell online. It's cheap to set up (less than a month's rent at a brick and mortar shop) and even cheaper to maintain. (That's one of my trades, BTW. ;) (/shameless plug)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Both refined tallow and lard would work - it's all in what they started with. The refining process got rid of the things that went rancid for the most part, and the resulting refined fat was shelf stable, at least for a few months.

Either way, nobody does body sculpting work with hot lead anymore except for the die-hard restoration to fill the seams.

Some of the early Custom Cars like George Barris' had 2,000# plus of lead added to the car - then they invented plastic filler, and cue the Hallelujah Chorale Singers.

Cal-OSHA outlawed Pot-Wiping lead splices and sleeves on electric and phone cables in the late 70's. Right when I could have learned how. Oh well... They still had the melt furnaces and the wiping tools and paddles and supplies in stock in the Tool Shed, they just couldn't use them except in the direst of emergencies.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)