Something Like A Utility Knife Blade Only Bigger

We were working on a tool today using a dozen utility knife blades. It worked, and the blades are cheap, readily available, and generally sharp
enough for the job. It would be a better tool if we could find a similar blade that has those attributes, and is a little longer and wider. Is there such an animal? One that while it might be more expensive is still relatively cheap?
On 04/10/2020 00:42, Bob La Londe wrote:

Planer blades, DIY ones are small enough and available in various sizes and materials, then recently I was helping a woodworker with a Wadkin BAO planer thicknesser with HSS blades about 310mmx 30mmx 3mm @ about
On 10/3/2020 5:59 PM, David Billington wrote: > On 04/10/2020 00:42, Bob La Londe wrote: >> We were working on a tool today using a dozen utility knife blades. It worked, and the blades are cheap, readily available, and generally sharp enough for the job. It would be a better tool if we could find a similar blade that has those attributes, and is a little longer and wider. Is there such an animal? One that while it might be more expensive is still relatively cheap? > > Planer blades, DIY ones are small enough and available in various sizes and materials, then recently I was helping a woodworker with a Wadkin BAO planer thicknesser with HSS blades about 310mmx 30mmx 3mm @

Thank you. That's not a bad idea, but to thick for my application. This is a supported push through application in a very soft rubbery material. I found a blade called a potato chip blade that might just do the trick. 0.75" (19mm apx) wide by 4-3/16" (106mm apx) by 0.015" (0.381mm). The potato chip blades are a little more expensive than utility knife blades at about 49 cents each (in small (96ct) quantities) but still not outrageously expensive.

How about the snap off box cutter blades the ones I buy at Dollarama are 3/4" wide by about 4" long IIRC.
On Saturday, October 3, 2020 at 7:36:45 PM UTC-7, Gerry wrote:
Heavy duty floor scraper blades?

On 10/3/2020 7:55 PM, Jon Foster wrote: > On Saturday, October 3, 2020 at 7:36:45 PM UTC-7, Gerry wrote: > > > > > Heavy duty floor scraper blades?
That is definitely an option. I have looked at them. Not to bad for price if you buy them in quantity. Also looked at carpet blades and upholstery blades.
On Saturday, October 3, 2020 at 7:43:02 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

See if you can find a source for 'die knife' It is used to cut the corruga ted paper at box factories. It is long and sharp. For their use, thin groov e are cut into some very expensive plywood. The die blade is cut to te requ ired length, and driven into the groove with a rubber mallet. My dad was a foreman at a plant, in Ohio and I did service calls in other factories whe re I saw it being installed. I would call a company that makes boxes to fin d out where they buy it. I was outbid on a case of it on Ebay recently. I w as going to use some for wire stripping machines I want to build.
"Michael Terrell" wrote in message
On Saturday, October 3, 2020 at 7:43:02 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

See if you can find a source for 'die knife' It is used to cut the corrugated paper at box factories. It is long and sharp. For their use, thin groove are cut into some very expensive plywood. The die blade is cut to te required length, and driven into the groove with a rubber mallet. My dad was a foreman at a plant, in Ohio and I did service calls in other factories where I saw it being installed. I would call a company that makes boxes to find out where they buy it. I was outbid on a case of it on Ebay recently. I was going to use some for wire stripping machines I want to build.
===================================The search term is "steel rule". http://www.wagnerdiesupply.com/Images/Gen-SteelRule-Guide-2016.pdf
PT stands for Point, 1/72", the traditional measuring unit of the printing trade.

The cartons were labeled 'Die Knife' back then. Either the name was chan ged, or their suppliers used a trade name for that industry which isn't unu sual. I haven't been in a corrugated box plant in over 30 years. There wer e five where I lived, in Ohio, but there are none close to me, here in Flor ida. The ones on Ebay were in a carton marked Die Knife. That was the searc h term that I used. It was a partial carton, and no telling how old it was. There is little to no reason to date code the shipping cartons.

========================================Googling for '"die knife" wasn't very productive. http://www.joinordieknives.com/
"Steel rule die cutting blades" gets results. https://www.freemansupply.com/brochures/dieboard.pdf