Something Like A Utility Knife Blade Only Bigger

We were working on a tool today using a dozen utility knife blades. It worked, and the blades are cheap, readily available, and generally sharp enough for the job. It would be a better tool if we could find a similar blade that has those attributes, and is a little longer and wider. Is there such an animal? One that while it might be more expensive is still relatively cheap?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Planer blades, DIY ones are small enough and available in various sizes and materials, then recently I was helping a woodworker with a Wadkin BAO planer thicknesser with HSS blades about 310mmx 30mmx 3mm @ about £15 a pair.

Reply to
David Billington

On 10/3/2020 5:59 PM, David Billington wrote: > On 04/10/2020 00:42, Bob La Londe wrote: >> We were working on a tool today using a dozen utility knife blades. It worked, and the blades are cheap, readily available, and generally sharp enough for the job. It would be a better tool if we could find a similar blade that has those attributes, and is a little longer and wider. Is there such an animal? One that while it might be more expensive is still relatively cheap? >

Thank you. That's not a bad idea, but to thick for my application. This is a supported push through application in a very soft rubbery material. I found a blade called a potato chip blade that might just do the trick. 0.75" (19mm apx) wide by 4-3/16" (106mm apx) by 0.015" (0.381mm). The potato chip blades are a little more expensive than utility knife blades at about 49 cents each (in small (96ct) quantities) but still not outrageously expensive.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

How about the snap off box cutter blades the ones I buy at Dollarama are 3/4" wide by about 4" long IIRC.

Reply to
Gerry

Heavy duty floor scraper blades?

Reply to
Jon Foster

On 10/3/2020 7:55 PM, Jon Foster wrote: > On Saturday, October 3, 2020 at 7:36:45 PM UTC-7, Gerry wrote: >

That is definitely an option. I have looked at them. Not to bad for price if you buy them in quantity. Also looked at carpet blades and upholstery blades.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

See if you can find a source for 'die knife' It is used to cut the corrugated paper at box factories. It is long and sharp. For their use, thin groove are cut into some very expensive plywood. The die blade is cut to te required length, and driven into the groove with a rubber mallet. My dad was a foreman at a plant, in Ohio and I did service calls in other factories where I saw it being installed. I would call a company that makes boxes to find out where they buy it. I was outbid on a case of it on Ebay recently. I was going to use some for wire stripping machines I want to build.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

See if you can find a source for 'die knife' It is used to cut the corrugated paper at box factories. It is long and sharp. For their use, thin groove are cut into some very expensive plywood. The die blade is cut to te required length, and driven into the groove with a rubber mallet. My dad was a foreman at a plant, in Ohio and I did service calls in other factories where I saw it being installed. I would call a company that makes boxes to find out where they buy it. I was outbid on a case of it on Ebay recently. I was going to use some for wire stripping machines I want to build.

=====================================

The search term is "steel rule".

PT stands for Point, 1/72", the traditional measuring unit of the printing trade.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The cartons were labeled 'Die Knife' back then. Either the name was changed, or their suppliers used a trade name for that industry which isn't unusual. I haven't been in a corrugated box plant in over 30 years. There were five where I lived, in Ohio, but there are none close to me, here in Florida. The ones on Ebay were in a carton marked Die Knife. That was the search term that I used. It was a partial carton, and no telling how old it was. There is little to no reason to date code the shipping cartons.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

The cartons were labeled 'Die Knife' back then. Either the name was changed, or their suppliers used a trade name for that industry which isn't unusual. I haven't been in a corrugated box plant in over 30 years. There were five where I lived, in Ohio, but there are none close to me, here in Florida. The ones on Ebay were in a carton marked Die Knife. That was the search term that I used. It was a partial carton, and no telling how old it was. There is little to no reason to date code the shipping cartons.

Googling for '"die knife" wasn't very productive.

"Steel rule die cutting blades" gets results.

Jim Wilkins