Interesting little knife:

I just received mine and its a very! handy little utility blade.

Ill be checking the RC on it next week when I go back south..but so far..it sharpened as easily as D2 can be sharpened (expect to spend some time getting a razor edge on it..crock sticks help)..but it came reasonably sharp in a compact little Kydex sheath. Only issue I can see..is the ball chain is a bit short and is of typically very light duty construction. (Chinese)

Got a dog tag chain? Use it, or use a piece of 505 cord. Ill be threading it with 505 cord

The sheath is slightly different than the one pictured...its square in shape and only has (2) rivets in it..so it will hang at a very very slight angle. Ill probably add another rivet so hangs vertically. A

5 minute job.

This will also make a very good "behind the belt" blade or "inside the belt" blade, assuming your belt is at least 1.25" in width...as the entire width is aprox 1 1/4" wide. It would work nicely if attached to the back of a holster, rifle sling, etc etc as well. Probably 3oz in weight at most..so it doesnt have a lot of mass.

Its not a "fighting knife" of any sort..but appears to be a well designed, well thought out utility blade.

This is one of the sellers Ive done a LOT of business with over the past few years and is very reputable, no..no issues noted. Delivery time was about 15 days from China.

Check out the other auctions. Some very good blades can be found there. And they also sell what Id call "prototype" blades...blades from small makers that are trying to get into the market. Some are quite good, excellent in fact..others...particularly those with finger holes...not so good. Chinese have smaller fingers than we Americans do..so several of them look good..but are too small in diameter to use like a Krambit in my hands. This blade/grip is big enough to get two fingers into, with the hook being supported by the third. Quite comfortable in fact...and the thumb rest is in the proper place.

Others that are quite good...

and one of my favorites

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Dood, dats not a knife, dats a small hatchet.... lol Nice sweep, tho.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Its a decent primary cutter. You can cut kindling, and works well when dressing pig, deer and elk. Decent heat treating, so it doesnt need sharpening as much when doing rough work. Splits fireplace wood nicely without fear of hanging the blade and has enough heft so you dont have to wallop it with a hammer. Its not a "skinning" knife, but works nice for the heavier types of work.

For skinning...the Wyoming knife simply cant be beat

My several are from the 1970s..and are of cast metal, but the current blades still fit.

The my long time..primary blade for small to medium sized game...my favorite for 40 yrs...is this one

Which is similar to..but completely different from its brother the

152..if you will notice blade configuration.

I dont like a knife with a needle point..too easy to knick or cut the intestines etc with it..particularly on small game like rabbits, coyotes etc

None of them are "fighting knives" nor would I suggest any of the above for that purpose. For that..its really hard to beat the old USMC KaBar. Or a Kukri..but the styles are completely different between them. And of the two...Id prefer a revolver or self loader.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

If you have not yet seen this, it may help:

also on amazon c 30$

how to use

ton of lansky videos on you tube with lots of hints such as using magic marker or dykem on edge to show where/how you are sharpening. Base is c. 6.00 and you can order from lansky, amazon, or walmart. Also Lansky just introduced a strop like their stones. see their website.

lansky site

F. George McDuffee

What I've been looking for is a small pocket steel, something that collapses to 5 or 6". All the steels I've seen are 12+" and intended to stay in the kitchen.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

Oh yeah..Ive got about 3-4 full Lansky kits, all the way down to extra fine diamond....and they work marvelously for getting a prep edge on. Those of us who use knives a lot tend to use em for roughing and theng when we are done, burnishing on a razor strop.

Where they go aglay..is with concave blades with small blades. Convex blades..no problem at all. That little tuckaway blade has a 2.25" concave blade.

So it sorta kinda has to be a diamond steel or a crock stick. Given that they are alleged to be made out of D2...it takes a bit of work to get em the way I like em.

But thanks! and I agree..Lansky is probably the finest sharpening "kit" a person can own.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Ive got a number of the Schrade steels and have used em 30-40 yrs

Work very well, compact and the sheath is set up so you pull the steel out...reverse it..and there is an extra snap in the back of the "retention" that goes into the hole in the steel, then you simply folt the leather straps back over it and snap em..and now you have a decent handle...if you want to use it. Two sides are nicely rounded, the two faces are flat..so you have a lot of surfaces to work from.

I can hone everything from a BIG knife to a broadhead on em.

And unlike crock stick...you can use em as a cold chisel too...

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Not quite what I had in mind. What I want is more like a chef's steel, sometimes cylindrical or, more often, a slight taper.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

Steve W.

I've had a Smith's set that works on the same priciple for years, but I seldom use it. It's okay, but it never really impressed me. It's not as convenient since you have to swap the guide over and all the stones are on one carrier. Does the Lansky set do a better job?

I also have one of the Smith's pocket models with the carbide and ceramic V slots and a diamond rod for serrated blades. Not exactly some thing for the purist but it does and acceptable job in the field.

Reply to
rbowman

Thats why I mentioned it has two rounded sides. Works very very well if you will read the various reviews.

Now there are quite a few short hones out there..google it.

Most of them now..will be diamond impregnated but...you can still find a good hone.

Etc

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Interesting...I dont recall ever seeing any F. Dick stuff before. Appears to be German made cutlery. In fact..I dont remember ever seeing that name before. Maybe it was the stroke.

Thanks!

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

That's getting closer, it looks like the steel surface is 3", OAL is

6"+. Quite a bit smaller than what I had in mind and I was hoping for something longer that takes down with the steel storing inside the handle.

Maybe I'll get one just to see what it can do.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

I listed several that do that. Telescoping

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I saw hones, I'm looking for a steel.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

There were at least one "steel"..which is the term for a hone. Some are diamond impregnated..but at least one was just a steel

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch