Sorta OT - Dental amalgam process

OK, I've tried googling, and I still don't have an answer...

HOW does the amalgam process work? I know it invovles mercury (although some don't..) and it basically allows metal to be molded into your teeth.. essentially making the metal act like epoxy resin (ie fluid for a "setting up" period, then hard forevermore.).

Can someone please explain the theory about how it works?

Thanks, Des Brisbane OZ

Reply to
Des Bromilow

DENTAL AMALGAM

Historical Composition

G.V. Black believed that amalgam should consist of:

67% silver, 27% tin, 5% copper, and 1% zinc

Low-Copper (Traditional, Conventional) Amalgam

Composition:

Silver 60%

Tin 29%

Copper allows metal to be molded into your teeth.. essentially making the metal

Reply to
Don Thompson

ask at sci.med.dentistry .

Reply to
Vaughn

Yes. I was going to answer "they break a barrier in the capsule separating the mixed powdered metals and the mercury, and then they shake it until it's well mixed." I guess you're a little farther along than that....

Yours,

Doug Goncz, Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA Unpublished work Copyright 2003 Doug Goncz Fair use and Usenet distribution without restriction or fee Civil and criminal penalties for circumvention of any embedded encryption

Reply to
Doug Goncz

Just a former job specialty I had during the 10 years war. Plug the term into google ... there are a lot of us out there. I worked with a group of Ozzies for a while. Good bunch of men.

Reply to
Don Thompson

Good bunch. Saved my ass on more than one occasion.

If you were in SEA '71-'73, THANKS!!!!!!! I owe you lads more than a beer, I owe you my life.

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

Reply to
Gunner