speed of meat grinder

My January landlord uses a commercial Hobart (#33 I think) meat grinder as a fish chum grinder. The gear motor part has died. I told him I could redo it for him. So, I'm looking for a 220 gear motor (I may get 3 phase and VFD) My question, anybody know what RPM a commercial meat grinder runs at? My landlord ran his finger round and round at maybe 60 to 120 rpm.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Have you checked the Hobart site for documentation?

Pete C.

I went through what was there. Looks like this grinder is too old for the internet. Couldn't find an RPM on any of their new models.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Maybe you can figure it out: count the windings on the motor - that will give its speed (with a little help from someone here who knows the formula). If the gearbox still turns, you can get its ratio. Otherwise count teeth. Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

fish chum grinder. The gear

220 gear motor (I may get 3

runs at? My landlord ran his

I'm just guessing but 3,450 rpm sounds about right!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Reply to
RoyJ

What is the diameter of the cutting plate? I'll ask my coworker that sharpens plates for a meat cutter to get a rpm value for you after the holidays.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Karl,

This doesn't answer your question but an ordinary garbage disposal unit makes an excellent fish chum grinder.

j/b

Reply to
jusme

Thanks, I'll email it to you after Christmas.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

That depends on the HP of the original unit. The more HP the faster they ran. My dad has owned the local slaughter plant since I was about

5 so I've been around these for a while. His current grinder (which he's had since I was about 8) run a lot faster than any of the average meat market sized grinders I've seen but uses the same head. I can remember for sure but it has either a 3 or 5 HP 3phase motor in it. I'd have to check but I believe it runs around the 120 rpm speed you're stating. The meat market ones probably run around 60rpm as a guess and I believe usually have about 1 1/2 to 2 HP motor.
Reply to
Wayne Cook

The one the family uses for the annual deer grind is a horse and a half, geared down to about 60 RPM. It would be very hard to replace the motor by itself, it's a purpose-made unit with integral worm gear drive built in. Don't know about Hobarts, this is a old commercial- grade unit but not a Hobart. Another option is to get a large hand grinder, add a pulley and a standard frame motor. Old hand grinders tend to be pretty cheap around here, nobody wants the exercise.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Didn't someone's kid here work for Hobart Factory Service? They might be able to get you a used replacement gearbox and motor, or even a whole used unit for less than a new unit. People trade up all the time and have the old units hauled away for scrap - if something else besides the motor or gearbox broke...

If you were going to couple up an old manual unit like that, I'd use a Lovejoy coupler and a planetary or worm-gear speed reducer to keep the thrust in line with the grinder mainshaft - a hand-crank grinder doesn't have the bearings needed for the overhung load of a fan belt, and your output will be very high in iron and zinc right up till it self-destructs...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman