FREE OFFER -- Harbor Freight 1/4" wire rope and hook

Comes from my truck crane. Free local pickup, shipping is $10, will be shipped in flat rate box and $1.05 will cover my paypal fee. There is nothing wrong with it and it functions as designed. Prone to kinking and is a little stiff.

Ignoramus9551

Ignoramus19045

Well it was harbor freight.....

Reply to
Wes

Yes, it was rather crappy. Not weak, as such, just not convenient to use due to unfriendliness of the wire rope. I did keep the hook, however.

The story is that I got some end of year money and decided to upgrade to a super flexible stainless wire rope, and to a better hook that I already had.

Ignoramus19045

Man, I would NEVER throw away still-useful rigging gear; the disabled vehicle is always 10' too far away for my winch cable to reach or something similar. Maybe the best use for it is as a loaner when you just know the turkeys will wreck it yanking their trucks out of the mudhole.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I do not think that this 1/4" wire rope is suitable for car recovery.

Ignoramus2318

My neighbor has 3 short pieces of the braided yellow/orange tow rope from WalMart hanging from the rear of his Polaris. It wasn't even suitable for 800 Lb ATV recovery.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I think that this applies to all Walmart goods. I have that rope too. I use it for miscellaneous light duty uses.

Ignoramus2318

Their 2" wide yellow ratchet straps aren't bad. I can crank in a measured 1000 Lbs of tension by leaning real hard on the handle, enough to pull my truck right through a snowbank (very slowly). I had one loaded to 3000 Lbs while pulling down the entangled oak tree being cut up in the sawmill photo:

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I had a much worse experience. I had two of their straps holding down a bed cover on my old Dodge.

On one of them, a hook mysteriously fell off, without any undue strain, etc. I threw away both.

Ignoramus843