Staple sizes: what do they mean?

Hi folks,

Here's an interesting question. I have an office stapler which says it can take 24/6 and 26/6 staples. It's loaded with 26/6 staples. Sometimes they buckle when stapling really heavy bundles of paper, so I was wondering if 24/6 staples are made from thicker wire?

Now I've found various references online which state that the first number is the approximate thickness of the wire according to the American Wire Gauge, and the second number is the length of the staple's leg in millimetres. So according to this, 24/6 staples should be thicker than 26/6 staples.

But also on my desk I have a stapler which takes 66/8 staples. Rather than being tiny and thin, these staples are huge, which isn't consistent with the theory. Does anyone know the truth?

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Just yesterday I reloaded my paper stapler, first with the wrong type. Stapler is ACCO 50 (made in USA, gotta be good!) and has worked perfectly for many years and still going strongly. It can't handle 24/6 staples, which are thicker than the correct 26/6.

Reply to
Jordan