Steel spring properties

So I have attached 10 inch stainless steel (302) springs to telescoping rollerski poles for inline skating (please assume there is no galling issue).

When near its loosest state, the spring resists force lightly. And then when the spring is almost completely compacted, the resistance is greater.

What happens to those resistances if I double the length of the spring?

Thank you.

Reply to
John Doe

"John Doe" clip) What happens to those resistances if I double the length of the spring? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ If you double the length by, in effect, stacking two identical springs, then the force per inch of compression will be half as great. Or, stated another way, the travel will double for the same force.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

John Doe wrote in news:br8Ch.23001$zH1.11422 @newssvr29.news.prodigy.net:

Springs are rated in load rate per distance of compression, usually in lbs/inch. This means the rate increases as the spring is compressed. You can buy constant-rate springs.

For some spring information see:

Anthony

menu at upper-left for online calculators.

David Merrill

Reply to
David Merrill

So, no matter how long the same spring, approximately the same force will cause it to bottom out?

I'm sort of checking my understanding here, thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

Sounds right to me, since each coil will have the same force applied.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young