taking out rusted bolts

I posted this on the 16th but it didn't seem to work. I am trying to take out 3/4 10 bolts out of a rusty cast iron keel in a sail boat. The bolts are about 3 inches in the iron and three inches in the fiberglass. I was thinking for maximum removal force to drill and tap 1/2 or 9/16 left hand threads into the bolt that I cut off the nut of, because the hex head is so rusty that yoy can't get a socket on it. I would need at least a grade 8 left handed bolt to be able to force it out with a 1/2 electric impact gun. I would first drill a 1/8 hole to the end of the bolt and then tap in a 1/4 pipe fitting so I could put in kroll oil and then force up the threads with 175 psi air pressure. I can't use heat or weld on the bolt because of the fiberglass must be strong. I have the following questions.

1 Is this the strongest way to take out a bolt? 2 Does anybody know of a unscrewing divice other than ezyouts and the other square one that don't seem to work on extreem conditions. 3 If you use a left hand bolt will you be able to get the old bolt off with out turning it off? Don
Reply to
Don Huseman

Given the environment those bolts have been exposed to, and if they are threaded into the cast iron, chances are those threads ain't gonna let loose without applying heat, and I understand why you can't do that. Your explaination leaves me wondering though, you mentioned, "I cut off the nut of", so maybe I didn't get a very good idea of the arrangement.

Assuming (and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong) that the bolt heads are inside the hull, are the bolts aligned parallel with each other so that you could carefully cut off all of what remains of their heads, and let the keel's weight help pull the bolt shanks through their holes?

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia