Temperature controller for environmental chamber

I'm rebuilding an old environmental chamber. It has a heater and a 2-stage cascaded refrigeration system. The heater/cooler works fine but the ancient electronics is falling apart.

I'd like to scrap all of the electronics and use one of those cute little panel mount controllers with a K thermocouple. I know there's a zillion of them out there and I know where to find them. I'm looking for firsthand experience using a specific model. I can use a bang- bang solid state relay to control the heater or I can take 4-20ma and proportionally control it's voltage.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

The heater has such a long time constant the "bang-bang" control should be plenty good enough. The only possible problem would be flickering of the lights, if the heater is very high wattage.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I've used a few different ones-an older Honeywell UDC 5000 and another one I can't recall right now. As long as it has a duplex output and you can set deadband and hysteresis anything should be fine.

Just curious-what brand chamber (CSZ, Webber, Thermotron?)

Reply to
Rick

Thanks.

Bemco. I've never heard of them except for this one.

Reply to
Jim Stewart