Testing an old welding rectifier

My uncle recently bought a 550a 3ph welding rectifier with the idea of converting his welder to dc. When he tried checking out the bridge it conducted both ways.

So drilled out all the rivets that connected the sections and tried testing it one section at a time. Using my DMM on diode check, I drop .3 volts one way and 1.2v the other way.

The sections remind me of a selenium rectifier if it helps. Could some one educate me on what I'm seeing and how to properly test this? It sure doesn't test like a normal silicon diode.

Thanks,

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Been a loooong time since I've had to deal with selenium rectifiers, but conduction characteristics aren't anything like a silicon or germanium diode. They've got a large forward voltage drop and the reverse characteristic isn't anything like completely "off". In a lot of battery charger circuits, they were used as a primitive voltage regulator in addition to DC-producing duties. That's the reason large ones look like giant heatsinks, they're very lossy. Really big ones had fan cooling. It's unlikely your solid-state meter puts out anything like enough voltage to test a stack properly. I always used a scope and hooked the test victim up to AC(read Variac), if they put out anything like half-wave DC, they passed. Mostly, when I encountered an iffy one in an old TV set, I replaced it with a 10 cent silicon diode and a 5 cent resistor. That was back in the days when it paid to fix TV sets.

Usually, failure amounted to a small fireball and letting copious amounts of stinky smoke out, somewhere between a garlicky belch and a sulfur candle.

Big amperage silicon diodes are/were readily available on the surplus market, your relative would have been far better off buying some of those. I've seen 300 amp bridges for $15-20 in the past, google should be able to locate some.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

In article , snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com (known to some as snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com) scribed...

Others have already created some good advice for fixes.

I just wanted to mention that, for some bizarre reason, my gray matter parsed the subject line as "wedding rectifier."

Go figure. ;-)

Reply to
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

Nothing more useful to add, but perhaps interesting...

Another thing about those old selenium rectifiers - you could take the separate plates out, remove any existing coating, and they worked as poor efficiency solar cells. When I was about age 12 I scavanged counless TV's from the junk bin of the local repair shop to cannibalize for parts, and this is what happened to some of them...

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey Feldman

And when they go bad, they REALLY smell bad. Like rotten eggs. And about 20 volt drop instead of Silicon's .6

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Selenium rectifiers test funny..... Thats the only thing I remember about them.... If they smell bad they usually are.

John

Reply to
John

Where would I look to find 300 amp silicon bridges for a reasonable price ? I have googled to no avail...

Reply to
Ray

Forget the bridge. Buy discrete diodes and "roll your own". On my old E.V. application I used 600 amp diodes I bought surplus for $5 each, including heat sinks.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

and (under welding)

Adding DC to Your AC Welder Robertson, James Subject: Welding Issue: Volume 16 Number 1, Jan 2003

Back issues are generally available.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

------------------------------ Watch out w'en you'er gittin all you want. Fattenin' hogs ain't in luck.

Joel Chandler Harris (1848-1908), U.S. journalist. Uncle Remus: His Songs and His Sayings, "Plantation Proverbs" (1880).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee