Threading dies (hand type)

Is there such a thing as a "bottoming" die ? One that will cut threads up to (at least a lot closer than a "common" one ) a shoulder ? Sometimes while threading on a lathe (male threads) even with a stop groove the thread isn't either deep enough or some other minor distortion occurs which could be cleaned up with a die but the partial start threads on the die won't get close enough to the shoulder. Any suggestions short of grinding the first, about 3, threads off a regular die ? Thanks ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

================== Try turning the die over. On some dies the threads don't have any lead taper on the back side. Cut as much as you can with the die in the regular position and flip for that last 1/4 or 1/2 turn.

Unka George (George McDuffee) ============================= When you give power to an executive you do not know who will be filling that position when the time of crisis comes.

Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961), U.S. author. "Notes on the Next War: A Serious Topical Letter," in Esquire (New York, Sept. 1935; repr. in By-Line Ernest Hemingway, ed. by William White, 1967).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Flip the die over.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I've done this in the past by just turning my regular die upside-down after doing most of the work the "right" way. No idea if I'm offending the metalworking gods by doing so, but it works for me.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

And if that doesn't provide a full thread, it's acceptable practice to grind the back side away enough to achieve a thread right to a shoulder. Only problem is the die will be inclined to chip, so it's not a good idea if you're threading tough materials.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

ummm, turn the die around?

Reply to
Tony

And if you flip the die over to run the threads up to a shoulder, you end up with a nice stress-riser. After having a few of these type projects shear threads at that point, I got the message. Either bore and tap for a hardened roll-threaded stud or use a through-bolt.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Tony sez:

" ummm, turn the die around?"

Yeah, Tony. That's what numerous respondents said. Why are you questioning it ? Have you read so many of Iggy's posts that you want to imitate him? It doesn't become you.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

The strange thing here is, that _none_ of my dies have a flat and tapered side. They are all identical on both sides.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Reply to
David Billington

Alternately, you can also cut a radiused relief, or undercut. One can't always use a through bolt. Won't be as strong, but the stress-riser is minimized.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Well yes, there is such a thing. One was pointed out to me a week or so ago. It looks like a normal die with a bulge on one side. The bulge allows the thread cutting bit to protrude into the corner of the shoulder.

Reply to
lemel_man