Titanium Alloys?

In the sense that it's not easy to machine, I suppose that's true. But again, I remember it being tough and requiring a lot of power to cut, not that it's hard. The maximum hardness you can get with titanium alloys, IIRC, is in the range of Rc 40.

I'm sure there's good info on machining it around the Web. I just haven't looked. The public-transportation guys have been keeping me busy. d8-)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

At one point I did some work on the SR-71's which had titanium skin. I have no idea what alloy it was but it seemed similar to stainless except that it work hardened even worse. It seemed like if the drill slipped for one revolution the stuff became uncutable. We used a lot of carbide drill bits in the short time we supported them.

Bruce-in-Bangkok (correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce in Bangkok

that is my experience with working a piece. filing it to shape is just as difficult as drilling btw.

Stealth Pilot

Reply to
Stealth Pilot

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Bruce in Bangkok wrote on Sun, 11 May 2008 14:20:16

+0700 >

We make skid plates fro the tails of Lear Jets. The reason, so I'm told, is just that - if they scrap it on the tarmac, it doesn't _all_ wear off in one fell swoosh. But they sure do take forever and three shifts to machine.

-- pyotr filipivich "I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender whether they served zombies he said, ?Sure, what'll you have?'" from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries

Reply to
pyotr filipivich