Forming twists in titanium ?

I was smithing a little Ti yesterday, trying to make bracelets.
Not sure what the alloy was - scrap 3/4" bar, drawn down to around
3/16" square. It was harder to work than pure Ti, but not the real
slog that some past 6/4 was - I'd guess at 6/4 though.
Problems began when I tried to form twists. Now this is easy in steel
- one end in the vice, wrench on the other and rotate. In Ti though I
simply failed on about three attempts. It was like twisting putty -
although I could form a twist easily enough, the stiffness seemed to
reduce where it was twisted, causing the twists to soon collapse in on
themselves. One end was slightly twisted, some other random point
became more and more twisted until it wrung off completely.
Repeating with more careful heat control (a bright orange) had the
same effect. I don't think it was simply uneven heat. I'd like to
have gone hotter, where 6/4 is definitely happier working, but the
small gas forge was at its limit.
With some real care and moving the clamps around I did manage to get
some uesful twists, but only by putting plier marks on it every 1/2"
along.
So, as far as I can manage, twisting just isn't a useful technique on
small section Ti bar. Has anyone else experienced this ? Any
solutions ?
Reply to
Andy Dingley