VFD as 3Ph shop supply

Guys, what are the limitations, precautions, or dangers of using a VFD set to 60Hz as a "general" 3-phase shop supply.

Say I had a total of 15HP worth of motors in the shop. If I installed a

15-20HP VFD, would there be any inherent dangers/damage potential in switching motors in and out of circuit?

Can they work that way, or must they be connected to a motor during their ramp-up time?

Tnx

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Wiring length.

You can damage the drive by switching big motors on it, and also, long wiring may create huge voltage spikes and damage your motors and general insulation.

Reply to
Ignoramus7868

You can somewhat mitigate the effect of wiring length, any VFD manual talks about this. Basically you would need to set up an inductor.

Reply to
Ignoramus7868

Ignoramus7868 fired this volley in news:4K2dnaxcT6DL1RHUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

manual

Yeah... some vendors call them "surge arrestors", but that's not quite accurate. I understand how to do that. It wouldn't even be much of a stretch to install "soft start" features on any motor that started with no load.

The "long wiring" in my shop would be a maximum of 25', if I centralized the VFD.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

All of what Iggy said, plus larger VFDs often won't accept single phase power input, and smaller VFDs are pretty reasonably priced these days and I'm pretty sure using individual VFDs will cost less that buying one monster single phase input capable VFD.

Reply to
Pete C.

And it will be much more convenient.

I have very reasonably priced VFDs 3-5 HP nameplate rating for sale. They work with single phase with some derating

Reply to
Ignoramus7868

Can you get VFDs that large that also accept single-phase input?

Assuming that you can, I think you can switch motors in and out so long as there is at least one large motor always connected and spinning. In other words, the large motor acts as a rotary phase converter and buffer, absorbing the surges caused by motor switching. The real test is when someone plug reverses a big machine somewhere. The large motor must be big enough to absorb this.

Put the large motor near the VFD, and feed the rest of the shop from the motor terminals, so the wiring beyond the motor isn't really sensed by the VFD.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Ignoramus7868 fired this volley in news:kaKdnfpzlNCuzBHUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Links? LS

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Here the 5 HP model. I also have 3 HP.

Ignoramus7868

Ignoramus7868 fired this volley in news:UZSdnQFm9II7xRHUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Ok... that's nice, but I can't seem to find the ebay listing, and don't know your "store" name, if you have one.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Sure, some Yaskawa models that will run on single phase are available up to 30 or 40HP. I installed 2 10HP Emerson drives last week on single phase input. 240V drives from that series go up to 30HP.

I don't see the point. You're using a significant fraction of the VFD's capacity to run a motor that could serve the same function running as a simple RPC. In other words, the VFD isn't doing anything useful.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I do not currently have them on ebay.

Reply to
Ignoramus7868

Polyspede turns out a series that goes up to 30HP rated 3ph output from single phase input. I have the 15HP model.

Todd Rich

Yes, same type I bought. The one I installed on my Bridgeport is performing well.

Reply to
Pete C.

Well, the length is the sum total of the length of all wires. So if you have five circuits, each is 20 ft, then your length is 100 ft. The issue is cable capacitance. More cable, more capacitance.

Reply to
Ignoramus7868

Delightful. I have a bunch of people who put them on mills.

Reply to
Ignoramus7868

Ignoramus7868 fired this volley in news:LIydnYXnD6YZ-xHUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

So, you tune it with the appropriate series inductor. That part isn't a tough one to overcome. Of course, one could also run separate wires at suitable spacing. Twisting wouldn't have much effect at 60Hz.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Iggy I don't have any experience with VFD's. I run a rotary converter on my cold saw and grinding table. I have several other applications that I could use a VFD on. A bandsaw and drill press and Atlas lathe are a few. How quickly can the speed be changed? Do you program the speeds you want and just push a key or two when you need a different speed? Steve

Reply to
Up North

You can, and they will cost you big bucks. About $1,000 for 10 HP.

Whether you can get a 3 phase rated high HP VFD, and coax it into taking single phase input, is a very big question. I will soon work on it.

This depends on their relative sizes, I think that Lloyd wants to have only one motor operating at any given time.

Reply to
Ignoramus7868

You can connect a potentiometer to one, and on/off switch, and use that for switching and speed changing.

Reply to
Ignoramus7868