wall-e arm movement

Planning to build a Wall-e and thinking through some of the
mechanisms.
Haven't come up with a good way to get the arms, at the shoulder
points,
to move forward and down.
Pic:

That dark band you see from top left to bottom right is supposed
to be the exterior track. In the pic it continues towards the bottom
left
to get a U shape but I'd be happy enough to handle just the L.
Thought about variations with racks/pinions and such but my best idea
so far would
be something like a side mounted gantry inside the box. And prolly
need one for
each side.
Somehow this seems like overkill.
Any other ideas?
Tanks,
DOC
Have robots. Will travel.

doc
Wall-e by any other name. :-)
In this case they call it an HT-50. And the right color scheme to boot.
But the shoulder pivot points are fixed. And for that matter it's the same for the animatronic mock ups that I have seen. Just sometimes the arms come out of the body at different points.
Seems like a challenging idea to be able to vary this dynamically.
Tanks, DOC
Reply to
doc
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 03:42:03 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Winston quickly quoth:
Yeah, that's even better than a base D-9.
Reply to
Larry Jaques
All the hard stuff is done. Just rip out the manual controls and substitute servo hydraulic valves. What more could one want? :)
Yup! I ain't no physics maven but it strikes me that shoulder joint is the pathway for *a lot* of force. So it's best kept rigidly pinned to the chassis.
--Winston
Reply to
Winston

Site Timeline