wall-e arm movement

Planning to build a Wall-e and thinking through some of the mechanisms.

Haven't come up with a good way to get the arms, at the shoulder points, to move forward and down.

Pic:

That dark band you see from top left to bottom right is supposed to be the exterior track. In the pic it continues towards the bottom left to get a U shape but I'd be happy enough to handle just the L.

Thought about variations with racks/pinions and such but my best idea so far would be something like a side mounted gantry inside the box. And prolly need one for each side.

Somehow this seems like overkill.

Any other ideas?

Tanks, DOC

Have robots. Will travel.

doc

Simple, Powerful, Tested!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Wall-e by any other name. :-)

In this case they call it an HT-50. And the right color scheme to boot.

But the shoulder pivot points are fixed. And for that matter it's the same for the animatronic mock ups that I have seen. Just sometimes the arms come out of the body at different points.

Seems like a challenging idea to be able to vary this dynamically.

Tanks, DOC

Reply to
doc

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 03:42:03 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Winston quickly quoth:

Yeah, that's even better than a base D-9.

---------------------------------- VIRTUE...is its own punishment ==================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

All the hard stuff is done. Just rip out the manual controls and substitute servo hydraulic valves. What more could one want? :)

Yup! I ain't no physics maven but it strikes me that shoulder joint is the pathway for *a lot* of force. So it's best kept rigidly pinned to the chassis.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Better gas mileage, anyway!