What plug for 3 phase?

What is a standard or most common plug/receptacle type for 3 phase

240V motor 2 H.P. ?
Reply to
Alex

In my part of the world 3 phase is 415 volts, I prefer to live dangerously and just poke the wires down the plug 'oles (NOT).

415v plugs are whatever the local authorities mandate, we have three pin rounds which have to screw onto the outlets, which have covers, which have to be mounted on insulated boards, etc etc
Reply to
Roger

Go to a local ELECTRICAL supply house. The place where the trades buy their parts. Home depot etc won't have 3-phase - they want to build houses.

So look in the yellow pages for a supply house and visit - they typically have an inventory to pick out of boxes.... they have 3 phase in all voltages and currents.

They are normally happy to help when the desk is low traffic - money is money. Don't but in when the local city power guy walks in and wants to spend 10 Grand.

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Alex wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Reply to
Jerry Foster

In USA the general designation would be NEMA 15-20P for 20 amp circuit,

15-30P for 30 amp circuit, etc. These are straight-blade plugs, 3 phase. An L15-20P would be a twist-lock plug, for 3 phase 4-wire 20 amps (3 phases plus ground).

Do a google search on NEMA 15-20P or NEMA L15-20P

The L15 portion refers to a 3-phase 250 volt rated device. P is the plug, R is the receptacle.

-- Tom

Reply to
TOM

Reply to
Brent Philion

Reply to
RoyJ

Take a look at page 728 at

for a nice chart on your options for 3 phase plugs. You WILL want to use a locking style plug.

Do you need a neutral and want to run 5 wires? (3 hot, neutral, and ground) Probably not for a motor but maybe yes if the equipment contains other electronics. And certainly yes if you have anything but a plain delta input.

What amperage do you plan to run? 2hp might be run on 15 amp, 20 amp or even 30 amp circuit. Plugs and recepticles will vary.

Plugs will vary depending on 120 vs 240 vs 480.

My guess is that you would want to use an L15-20 or an L15-30 But if you have to ask here, you probably should ask a local expert to make sure you comply with your equipment needs and local codes. 3 phase usually means serious power sources and equipment.

If you run more than > What is a standard or most common plug/receptacle type for 3 phase

Reply to
RoyJ

maybe if you have a SUPER HD - most are not that large. I am well aware of OSH - now Sears:OSH - but seems to be doing most of what they did. They are good - but are a bay area based.

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Jerry Foster wrote:

Reply to