Whats it called - push on retainer clip for bearing

I'm trying to locate a small bearing on a shaft for an instrument.
I initially thought of machining a couple of slots on the shaft and
using E clips or wire clips.
What about using a push on fastener like this:

Bearing: R4ZZ (5/8" x 1/4" x 5mm)
Shaft: 1/4" stainless steel
Load: normally zero end load, perhaps a kilo or three when handled.
Speed: Static to a few RPM
Thoughts on practicality?
Are there clips made for this purpose that have a small OD so as to not
exceed the inner race diameter?
Is there a standard name for these clips for bearing retaining applications?
Cheers.
Reply to
Bogus
It _might_ stay in position if there's never any end load at all while running, but if it's important the first solution is the right one; use a snap ring would be my recommendation.
Reply to
dpb
I strongly doubt it. Those and the twin V style are usually considerably larger in OD, likely as large as the outer race.
Consider trying some Loctite. 680 and 640 might work. (I've never tried this.)
Yeah, "bearing retainers".
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Thanks Larry, I think. ;)
Reply to
Bogus
Here's a rough sketch of the arrangement:

Maybe the best idea is to try and source some of the push on retainers and just try it. We've just done a batch that will last six months so there is no time real urgency.
Reply to
Bogus
Rotor Clip TY-25 or TX-25. McMaster carries the the TX in stainless.

There are also retaining rings with an extra heavy cross section meant to grip the shaft without a groove. I used to buy them form WM Berg. Rotor Clip p/n SHF-25.
Ned Simmons
Can you just press it on?
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt
Tinnermanc15226ss-010 is .45" diameter and fits 1/4" shaft or stud (.246 to .252" diameter) 10 thou thick. or change the last 3 digits to 014 for 14 thou thickness. Also tinnerman c12046-012 .56 outside diameter with .44" flats
Better yet, try the tinnerman t99220ss-82-576 grooveless retainer ring - only .312inch OD and .025 inch deep, made of .010 thick stainless steel.. The latter would be my choice for the application shown in the drawing.
Reply to
clare
Press the bearing onto the shaft?
No - shaft is 1/4" to suit compoenents that are fitted to either end. Knurling the seating locations of the bearings may work but I'm trying to eliminate as much machining as I can hence the push on retainers.
Thanks.
Reply to
Bogus
Thanks Ned, both the TX & TY parts look worth trying out. I just need to find a supplier down here in Australia. Thanks.
Reply to
Bogus
Thanks for the lead - I had not heard of Tinnerman, I'll check them out.
Reply to
Bogus
If you can't find them I have a source just down the road - I can price them out and ship them by post to OZ if that helps you out. I can take PayPal
Reply to
clare