Where to buy sheet metal for small craft project

HI
I need small pieces of sheet metal ( copper/Bronze/Tin/Al) for a craft project. Sheets can be as small as 4x6 inch and thin so that they can
be cut easily. They dont need to have much structural strength because the cut shapes will be attached to a flat surface.
Where can I buy such sheets, either on the web or locally in the San Jose, CA area?
Thanks.
-Dipu

Most ACE hardware stores carry them
JockoBailey wrote:

Also hobby stores.
Jim Chandler
On Oct 5, 4:03 pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Look in your yellow pages book under 'metal' or 'sheetmetal'. Visit a couple and ask them if they have any scraps. I guarantee you'll walk away with 'more than enough' for free. If all else fails, just go by on a Sunday when they're closed and help yourself to the recycle / scrap bin as most of the Sheet Metal fab shops are in industrial areas and there's usually not a person to be found..... Leave a buck stuck to the bin for legal purposes :)
/MM

Yeah.... thanks.
The boss just put lids on ours that weigh about 250 pounds to stop this. Wrestling them down into place is not exactly the most fun way to end the night.
Do yourself a favor and ask for scrap. As noted above, you're likely to get as much as you need for nothing- but if they even get a whiff of the fact that someone has been poking in there on the weekends, there will be a camera and/or locking bins out there the next time you stop in. That's on aluminum and stainless steel bins- if you happen to find a place with copper outside (we keep ours locked up inside) you might be risking having an angry guy take a few potshots at you.
On Oct 5, 6:03 pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

My first thought was to check your recycler, at least for aluminum. Good Luck.
Hi,
I'm also from San Jose, but recently moved to FL. Orchard Supply should have what you want. Also try the hobby shop at the corner of Saratoga Ave. and Campbell Ave. I forget their name. I know they use small copper sheets on model planes.
I hope this helps... ...Ron
Home of RonzCrafts - Iris Folding and more. http://home.earthlink.net/~ronzcrafts /

Ron Davidson wrote:

Sounds like: D & J Hobby & Crafts (408) 379-1696 96 N San Tomas Aquino Rd, Campbell, CA 95008
--Winston
Thanks Winston,
I moved away 4 years ago and I just couldn't think of the name.
...Ron :)
Home of RonzCrafts - Iris Folding and more. http://home.earthlink.net/~ronzcrafts /

Ave.
sheets
Thanks a lot to all the posters. The D&J Hobby Store worked out the best. They had very thin sheets ( 36-42 Gauge) of Brass, Copper, Stainless Steel. They had 3 sheet ( 1 of each metal) packs, each sheet 7x5 inch. They cost $4-$5 depnding on the pack. Those worked out really well for project. Those could be easily cut using a metal snips and x-acto knives.
-Dipu

Hi Dipu, Last time I needed small pieces I stopped by mo local air-conditioning/heating contractor. They have all the scrap you could imagine. Cost me nothing for a handful of small and large pieces.
Ivan Vegvary
On Oct 5, 4:03 pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Most real hardware stores and hobby shops have thin sheet for sale, usually in the same area where they've got telescoping brass and aluminum tubing for modellers. Most of this stuff is thin enough to cut with scissors. It's not cheap, though, most pre-cut metal isn't and scrap price has gotten to the point where just asking for it isn't going to be rewarding. If you have to go looking for it, ask for shim stock. If you need large amounts, go looking for roofing flashing, this comes in rolls and is usually zinc or aluminum. Roofing copper is out of sight.
Stan