Won an award

The Austin Community College Art Show is being held at the Dougherty Arts Center through April. With the help and advice from people on these lists, I am pleased to say that my metal sculpture received an Honorable Mention.

It is a series of TIG-welded stainless steel cages enclosing objects representing my past. A year ago I didn't know how to spell TIG...

Thanx! __ "All it took was all I had..."

Reply to
Emmo

Congrats! Not a bad two-fer: Lernt how to tig AND immortalized yerself!! :)

Stainless does tig nice, tho. I've never done it, but I've had shops do some production for me, and wow.... Don't know if you use filler rod, but SS welds real nice w/o filler--I think they call it "autologous welding"--or "autonomous"--or 'anonymous".... whatever, it has a nice fancy name, and looks great.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Neat! Any pictures you can share? I went through most of ACC's welding program several years ago at the Riverside campus and was impressed with the quality of the instructors. I had alot of fun and learned a great deal during the evenings of those 2 years.

Reply to
Terry Mayhugh

Maybe I'll mosey on down and take a look. But if I like what I see, you might have to give lessons!

Reply to
Gary Brady

I would be delighted to trade TIG lessons for powder coating lessons...

Reply to
Emmo

Hey Emmo,

Congratulations. Put pix on a web site somewhere for us all to see.

Take care.

Brian Laws>The Austin Community College Art Show is being held at the Dougherty Arts

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Right ON, guy!

Austin, eh? That would be in Texas? Humm.....up her on Vancouver Island there is a decided lack of honky tonk and barbeque culture. Sure do miss that Texas cookin'.

Ciao, David Todtman

Reply to
David Todtman

Yeah, post pix. On the metalwork drop box:

David Todtman

Hey Emmo,

My wife and I are taking classes there Tuesday and Thursday nights. What class(es) are you in?

Vern> The Austin Community College Art Show is being held at the Dougherty Arts

Reply to
Vernon

I took Frank Barak's (sp?) Basic Welding and Intermediate Welding, and Trent Temple's Art Welding, Beginning and Intermediate. Taking this quarter off, but will sign up for Trent's Intermediate class again as soon as I have a spare $241... (I've been out of work for over a year...)

I saw your posts about welding the boxes; this is a great exercise that I keep doing over and over myself. First in mild steel with O/A, then with MIG, then in Aluminium when I started Tig welding, and most recently in copper. My most persistent challenge seems to be that I have a hard time putting enough rod into them such that when I grind down the edge beads they stay nice and crisp and at right angles without rounding off. I have had to go back and add more to the edge a couple of times...

I hope you and your wife get over to the Dougherty to see the show...

Reply to
Emmo

Yeah, There are (were) some good things about living on Vancouver Island.... :-)

Can't trash talk the barbeque, though...

Cheers Trevor Jones (former resident of Merville BC)

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Well, who'd a thunk this group was swimming in ACC exes?

We're in Trent's course, too. Actually, I'm more of a "code welder wannabe". Being a slave to practicality I have no aptitude for art. But my wife does. So I'm just her helper...

We started with "art welding" because that happened to be the first course we could get into. Nevertheless, we're free to do what we want. So I'm just planning to practice becoming a better welder.

Pretty soon I'll advance to the point where I'm merely bad.

Emmo wrote:

quarter off,

Dougherty

objects