3-Phase Distribution from Phase Converter

I should be shortly be installing my Bantam & 540 in the workshop after a long delay, but have a question about getting power to them.

I have a Transwave static converter (3Kw/4Hp) which will be running the Bridgy in addition to the above, but obviously not all at the same time.

What's the best (cheapest/easiest) way to get the power from the converter to these machines? Do I need to install a pukka distribution board hard wired to the converter, or can I use something like a

3-phase 'extension lead', into a 'panel' with seperate 3-phase sockets, and then run leads with plugs into this panel, a bit like like a multi-gang socket?

How has anyone done this with a similar requirement?

The machines are all in a single-car garage, and will be spaced around roughly an 8' x 8' area. Do I need to be concerned about length (and size) of cable runs and voltage drops etc?

Lots of questions, but I'm fairly electrically dyslexic, so simple answers please.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

There is no reason why you cannot use 3-phase extension leads, we use them at the factory and at home in the workshop.

You need to use the correct 4-pin (3ph + E) or 5-pin (3ph + N + E) according to what you need, and the cable must be something like either the wire armoured flexible with clear PVC sheath, or the harmonised HOFR7 or HO7 equivalent to the old TRS or Tough Rubber Sheathed cable.

A good earth leakage breaker is a MUST if you have such cables on the floor.

We may have some odd lengths of new 4mm 4-core cable that we could sort out, plus we have lots of the red 4-pin and 5 pin connectors.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Peter, I cant remember if your transwave has a socket on the front (my convertor does). If it does then Id use that with an appropriate length of flexable cable to each machine. Just plug in the appropriate one. Ive got my Mill Hardwired into the back of my convertor, but the sockect at the front is still live and useable.

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

I did the semi-permanent extensinon lead job in my workshop last year and it's fine. As others have pointed out make sure you have an RCD if they're on the floor. You can get the proper plugs and sockets at places like CEF, but I was quoted GBP28 for one plug and one socket just last week as I was altering the system, that's taking the piss.

They're about GBP3 each from Farnel as long as you're buying more than

20 quids worth or there's a bloke on fleaBay called newt2002uk who does them for slightly more than Farnel, but no minimum.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

I have 2 32A 5pin surface mount sockets with plugs. If any good to you you can have them for the carriage cost, or collect Cheltenham.

Reply to
Richard Edwards

HI peter, You can make MDF boxes like this with surface mounted sockets ...and site them around your workshop

or

You can put the cable coming from the converter into a box like this and have lots of cables coming out going to individual surface mount sockets ...box was about =A35

how it looks

sockets about =A34 each .these are nice ones with iris type cable clamp.

all the best.markj

Reply to
mark

As the worklight is a tilley lamp, I am surprised you are not using a treadle For the OP the cable used is "SY"

Reply to
Richard Edwards

Many thanks to everybody for all the replies, it's just the sort of information I was looking for. And thanks again for all the offers of plugs & sockets. I've got some of these that I kept when we shut down the old factory about 2 years ago, and hopefully these will do the trick.

What I was unsure about was how to use these, but i think the question has been answered now.

Markj, thats exactly the sort of thing I had in mind. Central feed out from the convertor to a distribution point with sockets. In this picture here, how have you wired up the box inside?

Is there a central busbar or similar with individual circuit breakers, or have you done it a different way? Wouldn't mind a pic of the inside if you can manage that,

Thanks again

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

What type of cable is that? is it shielded?

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

Not a lot in there

just a block connector

sent you picture

needed the big box for future expansion and it gives you plenty of room to get in there and join everything up .

Yes.. cable is shielded ...its known as SY cable... just remember ...suits-you :)

4 core 1.5

its quite cheap stuff as well.... under a =A31 a metre...may have been cheaper than that ...cant remember.

all the best.mark

Reply to
mark