Choosing new lathe

Hi

I am trying to decide on what new lathe to buy in the 250-350 between centres range. I will use it mainly for odd bits for model cars, boats and planes

I am looking at Axminster, Warco and Chester and there seems to be a certain similarity between them. Are they the same units painted a different colour with slightly different attachments.

Has anyone any comments on the different options.

Thanks

Reply to
seacomm

Yes basically, although some suppliers claim to strip and re-assemble properly - check out

for lots of info. Largest diameter you can turn is likely to be one major controlling factor!

Andy Parker andy at agatehouse dot co dot uk

Reply to
Andy Parker

Seacomm,hi.

I think the advice on this site would be to go for the largest lathe you can accommodate/afford, most of us have had experience of buying too small/cheap initially. These machines are a generic design which is made in various factories at differing quality levels; you should not assume that they are exactly the same.

As Andy has said the 7x12 mini lathe will get you started at a bargain price and there is a great deal of information about using and improving it on the internet. Within its limited size it will provide a useful tool. Some of them are known to have motor speed controller problems that can be expensive to fix. Other companies have taken steps to make them more reliable. For a couple of well regarded (by me!) suppliers look at ArcEuroTrade and Warco both sell them.

When my son was involved with BRCA national 1/10 off-road racing the guy that supplied us with all the "hot bits" used a Hobbymat lathe. I'm not sure if these are still available new at a reasonable price but it brings in the possibility of a good quality secondhand machine. If you search this group for "import lathes" you will get plenty of opinions and advice, well worth a look.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

On or around Fri, 19 Jan 2007 13:21:56 -0000, "seacomm" enlightened us thusly:

quite possible. Axminster's "white" stuff seems good quality for the price, generally.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Have a look at the SEAG machines on the Arceurotrade site. I've a C6 and really pleased. Its a basic machine but good stuff.

My advice would be to make sure there is plenty of meat in the machine (cutting forces are massive and a light machine will flex more than a heavy one) and buy the biggest your pocket and workshop will accomodate! The other thing is that tooling and other equipment can cost you more than the lathe if you get into producing anything significant.

Regards

Steve

Reply to
Steve W

Thanks Gents for the good advice.

I have to report that SWMBO took me by the scruff to Alexandra Palace today and bought me a Warco BV20 ( she said it was worth every penny as I had been wittering on about a lathe for several years christmas/birthday presents and now I could shut up)

Now all I have to do is remember how to drive it.

Best Regards

Reply to
seacomm

Well done I'm sure you will enjoy remembering how to drive it. You did tell her that buying a lathe was only the start of the investment didn't you? No.............. ah well, break it to her gently, every birthday and christmas list will now include all manner of strange devices. Give it a few years and you won't be allowed near an exhibition with anything resembling money, enjoy it while you can.

Regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk