Cotter & Split pins

I always understood a cotter pin to be cylindrical with an angled flat that was either taped into a hole or pulled by a threaded extension thus locking a collar or suchlike onto a shaft that has a flat to receive it.

Also I understood a split pin to be a hairpin shaped device bent out of D shaped wire, poked though a hole in a collar and shaft with the ends bent apart to prevent it coming out.

I now see what I understand to be split pins widely advertised as cotter pins.

What's what, who's who, why and wherefor ?????????

Puzzled of East Sussex

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

That'll be the colonials again...

only do they not understand electricity, but ow they are corrupting perfectly good english ;)

Dave

Reply to
small.planes

I'm certain Capricorn One was true and filmed in a hanger in Arizona, if they can't get 3 wires across America carrying more voltage than can be obtained from 7 D cells then how did they get a man on the moon ?

Just been reading a reply from a guy in the states where he has to take his pickup and trailer to collect some steel bars, it does 7 mpg. SEVEN mpg ???????? F=FCck me, my mates Volvo does more than that with 44 tonne on it's arse.

John S.

Reply to
John S

Patrick Moor asked the astronuts..why cant you see any stars from the moon ..

was told..... you cant ..that's why

if you look at pics from the Russian unmanned lander ..you can see them.

????

All the best.markj

Reply to
mark

I can just about see the relevance of your replies. :-)

Mark M

Reply to
mark

Andrew, I'm with you 100% on this. Reading the internet 'expert on everything', Wikipedia gives this insight:

Cotter pin can mean: In USA usage: A split pin, a metal fastener with two tines that are bent during installation used to fasten metal together, like with a staple or rivet Hairpin cotter pin, more commonly known as an "R-clip" Bowtie cotter pin, a vibration proof type of R-clip that is shaped like a bowtie Circle cotter, a ring shaped cotter pin In British usage: A cotter, in mechanical engineering a pin or wedge passing through a hole to fix parts tightly together This usage difference is often a cause of confusion when companies of both countries work together.

I guess that explains it, those pesky Americans confusing the issue again ;-) Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

Remember that the USA can't measure things and that their pints and gallons lose a lot in the translation.

Reply to
Neil