source for bayonet connectors?

I'm looking for male/female bayonet-type connectors. An example is Dinse type welding cable connectors (but the smallest I've found is .350"). The male has a little stud so you can twist it and lock it in. I'd like the male diameter to be around .20" and the corresponding female portion to have no more excess than necessary. I can turn them down if feasible. I would prefer brass since I need a .140" hole passing through them. Anybody know of a source for this type of thing? tia.

-- Renaissance Productions, Inc:

random

Have you looked at BNC connectors? These are used in high end video and industrial equipment. BNC may stand for British Naval Connector but have seen other sources suggested.

Jack

Reply to
Jack Hayes

Here is a link to Digikey where you can buy and look at BNC fittings.

?Ref=283673&Site=US&Cat=30737380 You might also want to look at TNC fittings if you need more weatherproofing. They have a threaded connection rather than the bayonet style.

Reply to
Rileyesi

[ ... ]

Hmm ... IIRC, BNC stands for "Berkeley Nucleonics Corporation", the originator of that connector style.

However, those are not that much smaller than the one listed, if at all.

There are smaller ones, if all you need is a coax connector. Go into the web pages of someplace like Mouser Electronics, DigiKey, Newark Electronics, and others. It make take a while, but look for "RF Coax Connectors".

None of the above will be able to handle welding currents, however, if that is what you need.

Good luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

What I need is a small simple bayonet-connector that I can drill a hole through. It's for a low-pressure pneumatic application. Threaded won't work because I need to jam it in and twist to lock and it has to stop at exactly the same place every time, and the end of the male part needs to exactly mate with the bottom of the female part.

It's a couple of simple parts really, I just don't know where to get something I can use. I could make them myself except for needing the stud and internal slot that makes it twist-lock, I have no clue how a guy would make that part so I'm looking for something I can modify.

-- Renaissance Productions, Inc:

random

I originally thought BNC stood for Bayonet Navy Compact. However, according to

the story is a little different.

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

Reply to
David Billington

All the ones I've found spin, I need something that locks in place (does not spin). It's as much, or more, of a mechanical problem than a pneumatic one.

-- Renaissance Productions, Inc:

random

Yes , I always heard it was the name of the inventors 'Bayonet Neill-Concelmann.'

Tony

Reply to
Tony
[ ... ]

Well ... look at BNC connectors to start with. There are two formats of panel mount ones -- one with a square flange and four holes for the mounting screws, and the other with a round threaded projection with a single flat ('D'-shaped hole) and a nut to retain it on the back of the panel.

In either case, you won't need to drill the male connector because it has a hole through the Teflon insulation for the center pin soldered (or crimped) onto the center conductor of the cable. Most of the females have captive center pins, with solder termination, and that you would probably have to drill out. You may want to drill out the Teflon insulator in both as well, depending on the pressure levels you expect to deal with.

They are not too expensive, and you might even find some in a nearby Radio Shack, as they are used for connectors for three relatively common things:

1) RF connections (antennas) on some radios (though the larger screw collar UHF is more common on CB radios at least. 2) Input connectors on test equipment like oscilloscopes. 3) The middle of the three styles of ethernet cables.

The larger coax is the type-N connector, and is called "ThickNet", and also "10Base5".

The smaller coax is the BNC connector, and is called "ThinNet, and also "10Base2".

The most common these days uses the RJ-45 modular connector (which like a phone connector, but larger, with eight pins) called "10BaseT" or "100BaseT", or even "1000BaseT" depending on the speed.

It would be made on some rather specialized machinery, I would think.

As I said, there are smaller bayonet style RF connectors. Just dig though the catalogs (or web pages) of the electronics suppliers which I listed in the previous article.

Note that here is even a special version of the BNC which has three studs instead of two, and terminates center conductor and two shields. But that would be more difficult to drill out, and would be significantly more expensive.

FWIW -- the diameter of the BNC barrel is 0.375", and the pins making up the bayonet add a bit, to make the full size there 0.435" on the example which I just picked up. The diameter of the hole through the panel (for the D-hole mounting style) is 0.500".

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

[ ... ]

O.K. That could well be. A visit to BNC's (Berkeley Nucleonics Corporation's) web site says that they were founded in 1960, and the BNC connectors were already appearing on Tektronix oscilloscopes by then, so that would be a bit too quick, I think.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols