Drive pin clearance

Not a model though fairly small. A 2hp 1000rpm engine-driven direct-coupled genset. The flywheel and dynamo drive flange each have pins (3/4" and 1 1/4"
respectively) bolted to them which engage in holes in the other and there is 1/4" leather sandwiched between the flanges. Its obviously been run both out of alignment and long after it should have been sorted. The pins are a very odd shape and the holes are sort of elliptical. I've worked out how to set up and re-machine but am unsure of how much clearance to leave twixt holes and pins. How does say 0.002" sound?
thanks for any thoughts
--
Roland Craven
Nr. Exeter, Devon, UK

It all depends how accurately you can pitch the holes.At 0.002" you`re going to have to be good.Additionally you would need to clock the alignment on assembly or you may find a shaft breaks eventually.Allowing for all the possible errors that may creep in I would leave 0.005" clearance.I`m assuming we`re talking the fit of the pins into the other half of the coupling,not the half they are fixed in. Mark.

If you can turn down the 3/4" and 1-1/4" pins to take a rubber bush that is in the 'other' flange, you would ease your alignment problems enormously. Usually, the pins are bolted to the leather on opposite/every other pin so the leather or rubber these days actually carries the drive.
What diameter is the coupling?
Peter -- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk http://www.prepair.co.uk http://www.prepair.eu

Here`s a link to what used to be Fenner before it became Wyko before it became something else.They can supply bored and keywayed,doesn`t cost that much extra. http://www.wyko.co.uk/couplings/jaw.asp
Mark.