DRO advice sought

Looking at this item for my Bridgeport and his two axis for my smart and brown 1024 lathe .
item number 330055336601
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-Axis-Meister-BC10M-Digital-Readout-Mill-DRO-3-Scales_W0QQitemZ330055336601QQihZ014QQcategoryZ12584QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
can anyone tell me if glass scales are worse or better ...as regards ....durabilty and dependability and oil penetration .
would scales be too bulky for my smart and brown...pics
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/aboard_epsilon/smart%20and%20brown/painted.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/aboard_epsilon/smart%20and%20brown/fixedsteady.jpg
is the readout plastic facing touch pad likely to cause any problems (grease rotting the plastic etc) ...would rather have a nice old push button affair
leads are armoured ...I like that
weather this ebay one is value for money .
BTW don't want to go down the squinting at a Tiny LCD and mico wire leads, battery opperated route.
with the above info ....and 650 to spend what would you buy guys.
All the best.,mark

Have you looked at a local supplier like http://www.machine-dro.co.uk / At least if you have a problem they are easier to access, and their Xmas sale prices look good. I'm using their scales with the DRO350 when people want to upgrade from the Chinese ones ;)
--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------
mark wrote:

Compared to what? Chinese scales? They are certainly better. More accurate, better protection. I have the impression, that Meister is just a relabeled Sino. There are other brands that play in the same quality and price league. Like Jenix. You have to compare prices by yourself.
Wether they fit, you have to find out by consulting the data-sheet.
Can't comment on the display-unit. I'm biased. :-)
Nick
--
*** Available now in NZ and AUS ***

[...]
I brought a dro350 and use jennix scales best thing I did I'd never go back now
Andrew

Remember that (particularly with an item this size), there's an excellent chance you'll get hit for VAT and (possibly) import duties on the way in. Then the courier will bung a handling fee for collecting the taxes on top, and suddenly your bargain isn't looking so good. It's also (from my direct experience) and complete pain when and if you have warranty issues on anything that you've bought from the Far East on Ebay.
My advice would be to buy locally.
--
Nigel

When the only tools you have are a Bridgeport, a CNC Taig Mill, a Colchester