DRO advice sought

Looking at this item for my Bridgeport and his two axis for my smart
and brown 1024 lathe .
item number 330055336601

can anyone tell me if glass scales are worse or better ...as regards
.=2E..durabilty and dependability and oil penetration .
would scales be too bulky for my smart and brown...pics

is the readout plastic facing touch pad likely to cause any problems
(grease rotting the plastic etc) ...would rather have a nice old push
button affair
leads are armoured ...I like that
weather this ebay one is value for money .
BTW don't want to go down the squinting at a Tiny LCD and mico wire
leads, battery opperated route.
with the above info ....and =A3650 to spend what would you buy guys.
All the best.,mark
Reply to
mark
Have you looked at a local supplier like
least if you have a problem they are easier to access, and their Xmas sale prices look good. I'm using their scales with the DRO350 when people want to upgrade from the Chinese ones ;)
Reply to
Lester Caine
Compared to what? Chinese scales? They are certainly better. More accurate, better protection. I have the impression, that Meister is just a relabeled Sino. There are other brands that play in the same quality and price league. Like Jenix. You have to compare prices by yourself.
Wether they fit, you have to find out by consulting the data-sheet.
Can't comment on the display-unit. I'm biased. :-)
Nick
Reply to
Nick Mueller
Hi Mark
I bought a pair of scales and two axis mill DRO from Allendale (machine DRO) at the harogate show. I think the complete setup came in at around £370. I Got the usual show discount and I`m very pleased with the setup. The items seem to be good quality and are easy to mount using a few home made brackets. The manual was not brilliant as it was a photocopied affair but it was readable. I used the standard scales with no loss of travel but they also supply slimer units. The readout is supplied with a Clear plastic cover which protects the keys from dirt etc. Leads are armoured and plenty of length. The Sino ones have a D type metal plug that has two screws to secure to it the readout - less chance of coming loose. Readout is quite large and supplied with swivel arm which gives plenty of options to view. Also supplying the same brand are:
Not sure how prices compare but good luck!
Paul
Reply to
paul.morrey
Looking at this item for my Bridgeport and his two axis for my smart and brown 1024 lathe .
item number 330055336601
can anyone tell me if glass scales are worse or better ...as regards ....durabilty and dependability and oil penetration .
would scales be too bulky for my smart and brown...pics
is the readout plastic facing touch pad likely to cause any problems (grease rotting the plastic etc) ...would rather have a nice old push button affair
leads are armoured ...I like that
weather this ebay one is value for money .
BTW don't want to go down the squinting at a Tiny LCD and mico wire leads, battery opperated route.
with the above info ....and £650 to spend what would you buy guys.
All the best.,mark
I brought a dro350 and use jennix scales best thing I did I'd never go back now
Andrew
Reply to
Andrew Bishop
In article , mark writes
Remember that (particularly with an item this size), there's an excellent chance you'll get hit for VAT and (possibly) import duties on the way in. Then the courier will bung a handling fee for collecting the taxes on top, and suddenly your bargain isn't looking so good. It's also (from my direct experience) and complete pain when and if you have warranty issues on anything that you've bought from the Far East on Ebay.
My advice would be to buy locally.
Reply to
Nigel Eaton