Easier way of putting multiple centres in bar end

Hi,
I am making a crankshaft for a Chunn Twin model aeroplane engine. This is an inline alternate firing twin and the crankshaft needs 3 centres inline on each
end for turning the cranks and journals. I have a lathe and a mill but no vertical slide for the lathe. I just wondered if there is an easier way of doing it than what follows below :
1. Clamp faceplate to mill table
2. Clamp parallel to faceplate so that it is vertical
3. Clamp bar into v-blocks
4. Clamp v-blocks to faceplate / parallel so that bar stands vertical wrt mill table
5. Centre drill 3 centres on one end of the bar by indexing mill table
6. Reverse bar / v-blocks and re-clamp so as to present other end of bar
7. Centre drill other end as before
8. Remove 10,000,000 clamps and bar from mill table
9. Rest of job as required...
Is there an easier way of doing this ? It seems a bit of a faff to have to clamp the bar to blocks to a parallel to a faceplate to the mill table but I can't think of a more straightforward way of doing it that will ensure both sets of centres are aligned.
Many thanks,
--
Boo

Why dont you machine flats on the bar first then you can do away with the vee blocks.
Phil
--
pgp001

Thanks Phil, that's a good idea but the crank web between the two cylinders is a full circle and I don't know if there's enough extra diameter on this particular job to get away with it. I've a couple of other casting kits where your trick will work though so thanks again for the suggestion.
--
Boo

Boo wrote:

Mark the centers accurately .
Stand it on end and drill the centers on a floor mounted drill press . Thats how I've always done it.
--
Kevin (Bluey)