3/8" ground steel bar (silver steel)

Anyone got any spare or have a cheap source? Doesn't have to be silver steel as I'm not hardening it but that's the most common steel in ground form. It does have to be c*ck on 3/8" though. J&L want a tenner a metre for it which strikes me as bloody crazy. I know steel has gone up in price but still. Lawsons are a bit better at £2 per 13" length but the carriage buggers that. I only need a couple of metres.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Try 3/8" brass then if you want a shock. Last year it was £9.20 a 10' length. Now it's £27.00

.
Reply to
John Stevenson

I have to buy some 9/16" bronze soon but I'm putting it off to avoid the shock.

However to see just how much we're being screwed in this country I thought I'd have a look at the J&L American site for drill rod, their equivalent of silver steel.

A yard of 3/8" water hardening drill rod is $4.97 !!!! About £2.50.

That really does piss me off.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Yep!! Scrap is up too though obviously.

about £2k/ton from my scrappy yesterday. I make sure when doing brass work to clean the machine perfectly before and after any job even small ones now!

Wayne...

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

The J&L "Advantage" flyer which expires 17th March shows 3/8th Silver steel at £2.26 per 13" length Carriage £4.5 per order IIRC. The Metric Fine taps in the current flyer are I think a good buy together with the spin indexer at £29.95 all plus VAT of course.

Reply to
Richard Edwards

In article , Dave Baker writes

Dave,

Precision ground mild steel is much cheaper than silver steel, and nicer to machine. It's available from lots of places, for example Maidstone

£1.76 for a 300mm length of 3/8". Found that on Google, lots more there. I bought some (wider) from a place in Birmingham who will cut to longer lengths, let me know if you need, I can probably find the invoice somewhere.

Sorry if this is out of date, been away for a couple of weeks.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Thanks for the info David. I'll look into it.

Reply to
Dave Baker