Heidenhain Y axis scale

Continued the day by trying to find out why the Y axis on the Bridggy stopped working. Despite removing all the screws, how on earth does the aluminium housing for the scale come apart ?

I did notice that once all the screws were out, the slide started working, but very inaccurate. Almost like it has a mind of its own, adding up each time it slides along. zero to 12 inches, second pass 18 inches etc?? or missing parts of the movement completely.

To end the day of disasters, the Merc heater matrix is confirmed as leaking!!!! Now there's a job and a half, removing the dashboard and almost everything else to get at it !!! Bob

Reply to
Emimec

Sounds like the problem I had with the X axis on my Heidenhain. Turned out to be be dirt on the scale.

I wouldn't try and get it apart any more, I *almost* damaged mine trying the same thing. IIRC, the cover on one side is an 'L' shaped extrusion which appears to be bonded into a groove on the main aluminium extrusion.

I gave up trying to take it off and just squirted a few blasts of isopropyl alcohol along the glass scale, blew it through with compressed air, then carefully swiped some clean tissue along it to clean it off.

Worked fine after that. I was quite surprised how tough these things turned out to be, I'd always imagined them to be a lot more fragile.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Thanks, as I was thinking, seems to be bonded, so will try the same as you did. Bob

Reply to
Emimec

If it's any consolation, my Vauxhall/Opel 2.5ll estate needs the heater matrix replacing _plus_ the rear suspension bushes replacing _plus_ a new set of leads and plugs. The latter requires dismantling the inlet manifolds, which would make the average oil refinery look simple. Just the plugs would count as five hours work at the dealers.

I need to book a very long weekend of holiday and make sure that the kid's bike is working, in case I need more spare parts.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Where should we jump from !!! Bob

Reply to
Emimec

How's the fight with the Pacera ? Bob

Reply to
Emimec

Very cautious on the basis that the two people that have reported removing the pulley have reported removing it in pieces!

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Incidentally, This one was, according to Meddings, manufactured in November

1943. Not the oldest one, that was February 1943!

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Mark If this is causing problems, and respecting the age of the drill, might be best left in tact? Bob

Reply to
Emimec

The drill has reached the end of its useful life and it isn't special enough to be a museum piece. The space it frees up will be worth more to me than a

5th pillar drill could be.

I suspect it's more a case of a bit of white rust on the inside of the pulley bore, sticking the shaft and the pulley together. If I do end up wrecking the pulley, I'll cut off the motor shaft and then drill/bore it out of that pulley. Then the motor pulley could be used as a new spindle pulley (they seem to be identical).

Don't give up hope!

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand