inserts and tools

I'm looking to buy some indexable tooling and would appreciate some advice. Initially I just want a 10 mm RH tool - but what sort of tips? Near-square, diamond, triangular, round? I know tips come with 4-letter codes, but what 4 letters should I be looking for?

Something common, so tips are readily available in different materials, and so on.

I was looking at the Glanze ones Chronos sell, any good? Is that a CCMT tip? Is CCMT a good choice?

thanks,

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Peter,

J&L have a chart in their catalogue, which shows how all the various letters and numbers relate to the geometry of the tip, probably scan it in for you if you can't find it on the website.

Steve

Steve

On or around Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:06:41 +0000, Peter Fairbrother enlightened us thusly:

one of the letters just describes the fixing...

now, lessee...

has a good list of codes.

I have CCMT09 on a smallish tool. In fact, the student would take a bigger tool - this one is 12mm square. However, it's OK for what I do and you can always put a block under it to get it the right height.

I also have a CCMT06 in a boring bar.

Rhombic 80 degree (which is the first C) gives you 2 points per insert and lets you turn into a 90 degree internal corner from either direction without altering the tool in the toolpost, which is something I do quite often, turnign a bearing seating on a tubular part, it needs turning down to size and a perpendicular surface for the bearing to seat against.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 16 Mar 2008 14:06:46 -0000, "Steve" enlightened us thusly:

what page is it on? I was looking for that, found a different one though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Go to pages 342 & 343 of the virtual catalogue

I Have the CCMT tips for both RH, LH and a couple of boring bars, also have the 6mm round rofileing tool but it does not get a lot of use.

Going to get one of the tools that allows the two spare corners to be used for roughing next time I order frm Chronos, seems a shame to waste the cutters.

Jason

Reply to
jasonballamy

Peter

I use that Glanze tool in RH, LH (SCLCR/SCLCL) and in the design that allows the use of the other two edges (SCLCR), I find them excellent. I find the CCMT tip is widely used and also fits some of my boring bars as well as a wide range of turning tools, They handle a wide range of materials but for steel my personal preference is to use uncoated CCMT 06 02 04 tips from Widea (still available from RDG I think) as I feel they give a better finish. For stainless I use the same tip in coated form (Sandvik) which I buy from Jenny at:

J.B. Cutting Tools The Cottages Hundall Sheffield S18 4BP

Tel: 01246 418110 Fax: 01246 411011 e.mail: snipped-for-privacy@cwcom.net

She does all the shows and her service is superb. I also have 10mm holders from her and they are also excellent. I find these a very good compromise for a wide range of work and materials and would not hessitate to recommend them to you.

I also have some similar but much more expensive holders which are first class. The potential problems with the holders are the accuracy of the machined insert pocket and the quality of the holding screw, I have found no problems with the Glanze versions although I do buy a few spare screws with them.

Peter Neill is an advocate of the DCMT tips which I also use and they do give slightly better access for fiddly jobs but for me the CCMT does 90% of what I need. As they say you pays your money.............. Have a look at this discussion as although we were talking larger holders the tip is exactly the same:

I also use the 12mm holders and the TPUN inserts that John Stevensons' Gert sells and they work really well. I don't think that John does them in 10mm though.

Apologies for the very rushed answer which I hope helps a little. I promise to do better next time as after recent events I unfortunately will have more time to spend reading the forum.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Hi Jason

Just wondering which tool from chronos allows the use of the unused corners of the ccmt tip? I have a couple of the glanze 10mm ccmt tools and find them very good. I use the RH tool lots and the 50 degree chamfer tool is also useful.

Cheers

Paul

Reply to
Paul M

Paul Hi, not Jason but I just happened to be looking. The ones I use are here:

both the SCL310 and SCL410 use the "other" cutting edges.

regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Hi Keith

Thanks for the reply I have seen them now!

This may sound really stupid but what is meant by "Through Turning" ?

Cheers

Paul

Reply to
Paul M

Paul Hi, not "really stupid" at all, the problem with engineering is that different terms are used in different areas and even, at times, between different companies in the same town! "Through turning" is not a term that I found used much but as far as I understand, it means turning through the entire length of a diameter or in the case of facing, accross the whole face, i.e. not up to a shoulder or smaller diameter. The angle of the tool means that a very wide chamfer is left in a corner. In practise this is not a problem for me as I rough out the job (leaving 0.010" or so on diameter and length) with these inserts and then change to the normal CCMT tool to clean out a 90 deg corner and take the finishing cuts. Saves a lot of wear and tear on the normally used cutting edges.

Regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Guess what MEW has an article on tips landed on the mat yesterday.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

In article , Steve writes

Yes indeed. Have only glanced at it, but it does not look as comprehensive as the wallchart that MEW gave away a few years ago - that had a really comprehensive list of what all the codes for tips and holders meant.

If you need to find it, Peter, and no-one can tell you which issue it was in, say so here and I will plough through my pile of back issues to find which one it was.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Hi Keith

Big thanks for good explanation.

I may well look at buying one of the holders as it would mean extra life out of my ccmt tips.

Thanks again

Paul

Reply to
Paul M

On or around Thu, 20 Mar 2008 19:12:47 GMT, Paul M enlightened us thusly:

they do a rather handy set for about a hundred notes, all using CCMT06 tips,

5/8" square except for the boring bar.

Normal left/right, cunning "use the other corner" for turning and for facing, one that sets a 45 degree chamfer, one with the tip pointing straight at the work (dunno what that's for)

specs here:

click on the pic for a popup (bloody javascript) with detailed specs.

Only thing is, I already have a normal RH tool (CCMT09), and the boring bar.

Reply to
Austin Shackles